Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting with both hands >

Cutting with both hands

Cutting with both hands

Old 09-30-2013, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I only trust myself to cut with my right hand.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:00 PM

I write and eat with my left hand. Crochet and bowl right handed. But I use my rotary cutter with both hands.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:35 AM

My father at 80 + was talking to his brother about decorating. One said its so easy to do a window use right hand then swop to left. Both were amazed they both did it. They asked myself and my brother what we did answer doesn't everyone.
I frequently put my rotary cutter together for a left hand and when I go to classes my friend changes it. Either way suites me. I have broken right wrist and still went to work and used left hand. The way we are first taught to do something says which hand we use, it is the same with feet my brother is definately left footed. Me either foot.
A neighbour said he was able to use both because as a child he hand his left hand tied behind his back so he bad to use the right.what annoys me is the mouse on a computer I am always told to use my right hand, my left hand has far more control so why must I use the right?
Old 10-01-2013, 01:23 AM

I cut with both. I am right hand dominate but I can do many things left handed. I think I was suppose to be a lefty but the nuns would have none of that nor would my grams, I can hear her now "It's a right hand world so you must use your right hand" then I would get a smack on the hand to switch.
My rotary cutter has a safety that can be switched from side to side so it glides up against ruler.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:03 AM

You are not alone! I use both right and left hands when rotary cutting. In fact, I have two Martelli rotary cutters--one for left handed folks and one for right. I use them both equally!
Old 10-01-2013, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

mostly right-hand dominant.
I deal cards left-handed - didn't notice until someone pointed it out to me.
I learned to do a calculator key-board left-handed.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I learned to do a calculator key-board left-handed.
I do that too. And use a mouse left handed. Comes from being an accountant and needing to be able to write and 'calculate' at the same time or use keyboard and mouse together on a spreadsheet. My left hand abilities are much better with finger muscles, not with hand and arm movements, so rotary cutting is iffy at best.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:37 AM

i am so right handed that i just use my left for balance. lol!! my husband was totally left handed. as a result, our son is somewhat ambidextrous, depending on which of us taught him.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:18 AM

My Dad is right handed, but back when he started to school ( he was born in 1944) the teacher tied his left hand behind his back, because he was left handed. He writes with his right hand but does most things with left. Hammering, shooting,...
My DGD is left hand dominant (7 yrs old now) but is ambidextrous, she uses both hands for alot of stuff. It amazes me sometimes to see her coloring with both hands at the same time.
I however am right handed, but often do things with my left hand with out realizing it. When I take quilt classes I am often asked if I am a lefty, no, but I use the rotary cutter with both hands and do alot of stuff with old lefty.
I'm sure this is way more than any of you ever wanted to know about my family, but here it is. I'm a righty with a compulsion to use my left hand without realizing it.

Last edited by Country1; 10-01-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

i'd always thought i was clumsy with my left hand. however, recently, i tried hand quilting in a group. since you can't really turn the quilt to go the other way, i tried the needle in my left hand... worked pretty good