Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutter - which one >

Rotary cutter - which one

Rotary cutter - which one

Old 10-03-2013, 10:26 AM

Since some of you have the same cutter and like its probably "user error" ..and I dont' really have a good cutting table to lay everything flat on. I use my ironing board with a cutting matt. I will keep working with it. I did buy replacement blades so I will switch to a new blade and try again

Thank you
Old 10-03-2013, 10:38 AM

be careful on the ironing board. that sounds a little dangerous.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:41 AM

My favorite is the Olfa 45mm deluxe. The blade is covered when locked and not in use. Less chance of accidents. I was just doing some cutting and noticed I was pushing hard and threads were skipped. Replaced the blade and what a difference! Like cutting through butter. I have two other brands but always come back to the Olfa.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
Since some of you have the same cutter and like its probably "user error" ..and I dont' really have a good cutting table to lay everything flat on. I use my ironing board with a cutting matt. I will keep working with it. I did buy replacement blades so I will switch to a new blade and try again

Thank you
The ironing board has too much give. You need your cutting mat on a solid surface.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:52 AM

My favorite is a Martinelli. I recently broke the spring that controls the guard on mine. I contacted the company and they sent me 2 replacement springs free of charge.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:59 AM

I love my retractable 45 mm from Fons and Porter I won it at the Quilting Guild and it is white and red.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I am not saying that its a bad tool, but I am not too impressed either. Did I pick a bad rotary cutter?

What rotary cutter do you guys use?
What, specifically, are you not impressed with? It could be that you just need some basic instructions on how to use one. My mom didn't like the one I gave her for Christmas until I showed her the proper way to use it. Now she says she doesn't know how she cut everything with scissors for so many years.

I have two different brands and they're both satisfactory. I really like the safety features on the one you liked to.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:47 AM

I agree with quiltsRfun - the ironing board is probably the problem. I've used my rotary cutter on the ironing board, and it was awful. The mat really needs to be on a solid, flat surface. If you really don't have anywhere else to cut (kitchen table? island/peninsula?), then maybe get a pre-fab shelf from Home Depot, as long as it's at least as big as your cutting mat. Place the shelf on top of the ironing board but under the mat; it will still probably squish a little, but it will be miles better than the mat directly on the ironing board surface.

I have the same Fiskars rotary cutter as you, and like it, but I know some people that find that handle style very uncomfortable. Try going to a craft store and holding a few different ones, and seeing if there is a style that feels better in your hand.

Good luck!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

The only rotary cutter that I've actively disliked was the Gingher one.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

what is your issue with the cutter? why are you 'not impressed with it'? I have a number of different cutters- including 3 of the fiskar ones like the one you bought (one 60mm, one 45mm and one with a pinking blade) I like them because of the way the close *always thinking about safety*; I do tend to grab my olfa's most often- they came first and I am used to them- but I am interested in why you don't like this one?
I have a new 'clover' one (28mm) I just picked up & so far love that one- for what I bought it for. I guess the olfa's are my favorite, but I have lots of fiskar tools and do like them - have not had any problems with them- I tend to choose by *price, availability and function/need at the moment (which Is why I just bought the clover 28mm- I needed one that size & that's the brand the store ) I have an 18mm which is an olfa. I only have the 60mm & pinking blade cutter in fiskar because that's what I found at the time I needed them.