Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vodka fabric sizing recipe >

Vodka fabric sizing recipe

Vodka fabric sizing recipe

Old 10-08-2013, 03:33 AM

Does anyone have the recipe? I have some really old vodka that I've been thinking of tossing......now maybe not so eager to toss?
Old 10-08-2013, 04:01 AM

The recipe I've used (because I read it on QB) was 2 C distilled water to 2 oz cheap vodka. You can add a few drops of an essntial oil if you wish to have a fragrance (I don't). Mix it in a spray bottle and mist it on your fabrics when you press. It does make the seams a bit crisper and lay a bit flatter, but it is not a starch like Sta-Flo or Miracle Sizing, in that it does not make the fabric stiff. Hope this helps.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:27 AM

I am also watching this since they quit making bounce ironing spray that was very good stuff I like best press but very expensive must be something sold someplace less expensive
Old 10-08-2013, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cottage Dee View Post
Does anyone have the recipe? I have some really old vodka that I've been thinking of tossing......now maybe not so eager to toss?
There's been several variations given throughout this thread ... just go back and read the posts and you will find them!

Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
I am also watching this since they quit making bounce ironing spray that was very good stuff I like best press but very expensive must be something sold someplace less expensive
I always liked Bounce too, and never liked the spray starches. I totally hesitated on the Best Press because of the price. Then when I had no choice and finally did try it, all I could say was .... What took me so long? So give it a try, and chances are you will say the same!
Old 10-08-2013, 05:36 AM

I accidentally deleted the original message - what is the recipe? Thanks
Old 10-08-2013, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by julian quilter View Post
I accidentally deleted the original message - what is the recipe? Thanks
See post #64
Old 10-08-2013, 06:37 AM

I'm a thinking there are going to be a few Wonky quilts in the near future LOL
Old 10-08-2013, 06:47 AM

The recipe I use is 2 cups distilled water, 2 oz vodka and 8 drops of essential oil...I prefer lavender as it is a lighter scent. I also use vodka to clean my windows, remove stains from carpet, great on mirrors...the reason being is that one day I sent my DH to the local Krogers to get 3 items, he came home with much more including a gallon jug of no name vodka. Evidently, the customer in front of him in line did not get all his groceries. I called Krogers to let them know that we had the man's vodka and the manager laughed and said - we have taken care of him, keep the vodka. So I have been trying to use it up for awhile now. The recipe is passed around our guild several times a year.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:56 AM

After trying Best Press, I don't want to use anything else for difficult wrinkles. Every day pressing, I'll do with steam or dry, depending on the situation. But for wrinkles that are stubborn, or for the crease left in where the fabric is folded on the bolt - or just the opposite, where I WANT a crease, Best Press works best for me.

That said, I don't recommend buying the small bottle locally... I buy the gallon sized refill online. Because I use it sparingly, a gallon will last at least me at least a year. Where a 16 oz. bottle is about $8, I hunt around for sales when I am getting low. If I'm persistent and patient, I can usually get a gallon, with free shipping, for about $40. Sometimes I have to buy two to get that price, so will go in w/ a friend. The cost is then about $.62/oz - much more reasonable and worth the cost.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:56 AM

it is the ethyl alcohol that is the key. my husband ( Oregon dweller) uses Ever Clear Grain Alcohol for cleaning his pipe and a few other things. Sounds like it would work in this recipe. So which is cheaper Ever Clear or Vodka. I'm in rural alaska so anything containing alcohol is either very expensive or by local option, illegal to have in the community.