Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question About Professional Long-ArmQuilting for Fair Entries >

Question About Professional Long-ArmQuilting for Fair Entries

Question About Professional Long-ArmQuilting for Fair Entries

Old 10-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

My fair list has a category for professionally quilted. A professionally quilted quilt is still designed and pieced by the maker. They are thinking of adding another category for long arm amateurs as many now have a long arm for personal use and do not get paid to quilt for others(professional) These sections are separate from quilts quilted on a domestic machine and hand quilted. If these other categories were not allowed, I think most fairs would have very few entries.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
A professionally quilted quilt is still designed and pieced by the maker.
Well, that isn't necessarily true either. I've seen many many quits in fairs and shows that were done by professional designers. In fact, I've seen the same quilt multiple times in our state fair- one year, the same quilt was hanging next to its twin, just slightly different colors.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:47 AM

Fairs usually have different classes just for this reason. Our county fair has classes for every possibilty. Hand-quilted, home machine quilted, long arm. If you ever have questions on which class to enter your quilt, ask the person in charge. They are there to help.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:35 AM

I agree, it can be frustrating and that is why I am determined to learn how to quilt my own quilts. A few years ago I made a quilt for my sons wedding gift. I designed it, did some hand applique on it, it is definitely one of my best. I would put it up against some very good quilts at some big shows. BUT, because I couldn't afford to have it custom quilted for several hundred dollars like someone else with equal piecing skills, might, I could only afford a basic inexpensive design. Mine would never win, and if what gave the other quilt the winning votes was the quilting, why does the piercer get the award? It doesn't seem fair that because one person can afford to pay an award winning quilter to quilt their top that they should win. Their own skills should be what is judged. I don't loose sleep over this, because I don't make quilts just to win a prize, I make them because I love doing it. Even if I could afford to pay a lot for great quilting, I don't like the fact that it isn't my creation from start to finish, as I said earlier, this has made me want to learn FMQ sooner rather than later.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:42 AM

The champion quilt at our county fair was done on a home machine and all stitched in the ditch. It won because everything the quilter did on that quilt was with precision. Don't be discouraged. I've also seen hand-quilted quilts take top honors. Sometimes it's what you can do with what you have. I enter fairs to get feedback and see what I'm doing right and what I need to work on. It's less about the ribbon for me...although a blue ribbon does feel good.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

who ever quilts the quilt has to be included in the submission- some fairs allow a *2* person quilt- or have a specific category for 'group quilts' some do not accept them- it is always important to follow the 'rules' of the show/fair/venue. as for your statement;;;you will never be able to... why not? many fabulous quilters do their work on their domestic machines- it just takes the desire to learn and the practice.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

When one quilts, and another pieces .... some classes specify that the quilting will not be judged, and only the piecing.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:15 PM

The fair I just attended, excluded professional entries of any kind. I make less than $2000/yr on quilting and teaching. I'm considered professional even though I don't have the experience of LAQ who quilt every day.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:00 PM

Wow! Thanks for all this wonderful advice and knowledge! I knew I could get answers that I needed. I think because my personal life is so difficult right now (taking care of a terminally ill sister), that my daily outlook is at an all-time low and I just couldn't understand how fair entries were handled. Thank you again for this info. I haven't made but a few quilts and I usually hand quilt a little on them to keep them together and I have also used my DSM on occasion but haven't quite mastered that art yet. I've only been quilting for 2-3 years now, so trust me, have lots to learn. Thank you all for your help on this matter.... I love this board!
Old 10-10-2013, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by IzzysGrammie View Post
I hope I don't offend anyone because I think the quilts made on this forum are so beautiful and I love looking at the pictures everyday. Because my life is not my own anymore, this is my escape. With that said, my question is if you make a quilt for a fair entry, and you have a Professional Long-Arm Quilter finish it up for you, how is that YOUR quilt? What makes your entry a fair one for the people who make their quilt from start to finish? I'm just wondering because when I see these quilts posted from Quilt Shows, it is so intimidating that it has literally stopped me from doing something I enjoy. I will never be able to afford a professional quilter, nor will I ever be able to do that myself by hand or by my domestic machine so this is why I am asking. As I said earlier, I'm sorry if I have offended anyone.
Glad you posted this. Our annual Fall Fair was last weekend and some of us in our quilting club quilt on our domestic machines while others in the club send theirs to long armers. Those of us who quilt on our own machines have had the same questions and concerns when our quilts are shown in the same classes as those done by a professional- I'm referring to a long armer as a professional here, because I feel they are since many of them have long arming as a business. The domestic machine quilters in our group have finally made a difference in our local fair, by requesting that our quilts be in a separate class, this year that finally happened. All of the machines that were done by machine were listed as machine quilted 1-A by domestic machine and 1-B by long arm machines, and the quilts were judged in separate groups. I truly think this is only fair, because some of us who quilt on our domestic machines can never have some of the same beautiful stitching done on a long arm machine. I personally want to do all of my quilts myself from start to finish. We had a class for our Club Challenge quilts and everyone's quilt fell in that group no matter what kind of machine was used for the quilting, and we could handle that.
I think you just have to work on setting up specific rules. as Skitt1321 stated. I entered 3 quilts this year all done on my domestic machines, two entirely on my Bernina 930 and one on my 1937 FW, with only the quilting part done on my Bernina. Well, I'm very happy to say I rec.'d 3 ribbons, 1- 2nd place and 1- 1st place as well as Best of Show. Needless to say I was totally shocked and blown away when I saw the BOS on my quilt.The Best of Show quilt was the "Pineapple Block" quilt that I made on the FW and all done during the month of Sept. I might add. We also have separate classes for hand quilted and tied quilts, and adult and other classes, also a separate class for "baby" quilts. In my opinion I really think the classes should be this way. You just have to work on getting the rules set up that makes it fair for everyone. I list how my quilt is made, pattern name, size and I think in the future I am going to keep track of the number of hours I spend on the quilt from start to finish if I can and remember to write it down each time.
DON"T GIVE UP, who knows what you will be able to show at a quilting show in the future, you will never know if you quit now!! Good luck, hang in there.

Last edited by Gerbie; 10-10-2013 at 03:32 AM.