Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a go-to pattern for gift? >

Do you have a go-to pattern for gift?

Do you have a go-to pattern for gift?

Old 10-02-2013, 08:20 PM

For a friend of my son, I made 4 different holiday table runners, Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Halloween. because I did not know what the colors were going to be In their homes. and did not want to make large bed quilts that may not go with their decor
Old 10-03-2013, 03:58 AM

I make what I like and they can do what they want with it. They are going to anyway. My theory anyway.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:09 AM

Y'all that are giving these unappreciated gifts can send them my way. My grandma was the crafty one and it passed down to me. I am the ONLY person I know old and young that does needle craft or sewing outside of mending. I stopped giving homemade gifts because the last time I did I spent a YEAR making specific to the person Christmas presents and got not one single thank you nothing. Open the box look and set it to the side like it was trash. It broke my heart because I put so much into those gifts and they were crocheted at that so the time. Oh the time.

I hate that my generation (I'm 29) does not appreciate quilts or homemade gifts for the most part. I'd rather have one thoughtful hand made gift than a million thing from bed bath and beyond.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
This may sound odd but my usual wedding gift to acquaintances is a very nice sewing kit. Quality large and small scissors, a Superior bobbin saver filled with bobbins of different colors, package of hand sewing sharp needles, safety pins, measuring tape and a seam ripper. I try to find the perfect container so it doesn't look like Grandma's sewing basket. It may not be a wow gift but when needed it is a welcome gift.
Great idea!!
Old 10-03-2013, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tfch8184 View Post
Y'all that are giving these unappreciated gifts can send them my way. My grandma was the crafty one and it passed down to me. I am the ONLY person I know old and young that does needle craft or sewing outside of mending. I stopped giving homemade gifts because the last time I did I spent a YEAR making specific to the person Christmas presents and got not one single thank you nothing. Open the box look and set it to the side like it was trash. It broke my heart because I put so much into those gifts and they were crocheted at that so the time. Oh the time.
I hate that my generation (I'm 29) does not appreciate quilts or homemade gifts for the most part. I'd rather have one thoughtful hand made gift than a million thing from bed bath and beyond.
While at work, I overheard a conversation. One lady received a handmade gift. She complained that the person who made the gift must not have known her very well or she would have known that she doesn't care for "crafts". She also said that when people make gifts, they do it because it's what they like...not what the potential receiver may like. It gave me pause that perhaps she was right. So often, we put so much time and effort into a homemade gift, and the receiver doesn't appreciate it. Now I only make gifts for people I know will appreciate and like them.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:40 AM

I've made a lap quilt for cuddling. Had great reception. One loved it so much they hung it on the wall. I usually print the invitation as the label. My nephew's bride couldn't get over that. Vicky
Old 10-05-2013, 12:34 PM
RST

I agree that making a table runner or pot holders to coordinate with the dishes or pots they're registered for could be a good solution. Honestly, I'd say most young couples I encounter are not big on placemats, etc. However, you could try looking up the bride's name on Pinterest (What bride doesn't have an account?) and get a sense of what her style is. If you saw a lot of handmade/quilty types of things, then you could feel pretty safe in making a nice throw sized quilt or throw pillows.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:54 PM

We were in a similar situation, I ended up doing place mats for all 4 couples - I did 6 mats per present - 2 I got really nice Japanese fabric cross hatched in gold thread - looked fantastic and both brides love them the other 2 I did I think it's spaghetti quilting with all my scraps - very fresh and also looks great - all very forgiving when in a hurry.
my DD & DS have been round for meals and they say they are being used all the time. I initialled the back with the date of the wedding. If they don't know each other you can do the same of all 3!
i agree with you re money or gift card but I know it's the done thing now!!!
Old 10-06-2013, 05:05 AM

A friend of mine recently made a really nice wine tote, she found tutorial online. She is making them for Christmas gifts and is going to include a gift card with wine for closer friends. Quick and easy.

Last edited by nature lover; 10-06-2013 at 05:07 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 10-09-2013, 10:49 AM

MaggieMay ... beautiful ... any details on how you made the placemats and napkins?