Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as you go question >

Quilt as you go question

Quilt as you go question

Old 04-27-2010, 06:36 PM

I sew my quilts with 'quilt as you go', I don't always put a sashing beween rows. I will try to fine the directions which I learn from. It will next week as I will not be home.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:41 PM

In these directions, one of the options is no seam. I just haven't tried it yet.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:01 PM

Should anyone still be interested in the original question,

Sorry no pics. Here is how adressmaker who knows nothing about quilting puts one together and isflabbergasted at how much work the so-called 'quilt-as-you-go' reallyis and how it actually is not conducive to machine quilting. Thisway the top looks like a real quilt without the ridiculous sashesstealing from the fluidity of the design; the back is not one piecevisually but it is not noticed with the quilt lines.

Paper piece or strip or scrap orselvage quilt directly onto batting, with 1/2" overhang allaround the batting.

Square up blocks to within 1/4" ofbatting foundation for seam allowances.

Sew blocks together to create rows.

Start with row one. Cut and place backto top, wrong sides together.

Going across the entire row of blocksmachine quilt (do not even need walking foot) straight lines or wavylines every couple of inches.

Lay right sides together top of Row 2to top of Row 1 and right sides together bottom of Row 1 to Row 2.

Sew across 1/4".

Flip top and bottom of Row 2 away fromRow 1, leaving seam locked inside Row 2.

Machine quilt (do not need walkingfoot) either straight seams or wavy a couple of inches apart acrossRow 2, as did on Row 1.

Now add Row 3, again locking the seaminside. Keep adding your rows.

This seamstress method has severaladvantages, one being your quilting is always the bulk of the quiltto the outside of the machine. The only amount under the throat isthe width of your blocks. AND there are no sashes or extra busywork. This also works first quilting a quilt top's rows to thebatting and then proceding; just easier to design and sew stuff thatis pieced directly to the batting to save time and steps.

For the extremely symetrical-minded,start with the center row and work out in each direction, placing thehidden seams in exactly the same positions on each side of the quilt.

Next quilt I will photograph or video.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:28 PM

Here's a link to a pretty good video on how to do it without sashing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9G3wTte9qY
Old 10-11-2013, 09:01 PM

Check out Bayside Quilting, fun and done section. They have many quilt patterns using their method. The one I made turned out great,and there were no sashing strips. I made the block quilt samdwiches this way, the batting and the top were the same size the backing bigger. After you make the quilt block, you sew them together and then topstich the seam down. Their is a video that will make it very understandable.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:23 PM

Never seen a none sashing instructions. But I just sew the top as you would then lay flat on a table with batting on top. I cut batting so it butts up to each other and hand stitch them together. They are now lying flat I smooth across one side of the backing and then smooth across other side and then fold it back to make a lovely neat straight seam and hand stitch and press. If you need to finish a quilt design over the seam quilt now far easier than when all done.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:40 AM

That method looks good will have to give it a go. thanks for pasting the link.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:05 AM

I assemble the quilt top first and apply the backing all in one piece. This way I know the blocks are square and even and I don't have a lot of seams showing on the backing. Just my preference.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

Sharonb mentioned cutting the backing larger than the front blocks, here is one I did that way. folded over and stitched down. easy. pics of back and front.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawaiian back.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	440838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawaiian qlt - Copy.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	440839  
Old 10-13-2013, 12:51 AM

Thanks for the tips ladies will give it a go. I have received so much help since joining about a week ago it great.