Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • North vs South >
  • North vs South

• North vs South

Old 10-11-2013, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by funnyhunnybunny
    I was recently told that for quilts to be used in the south, you should do heavy quilting, because it will be cooler. In the North, you want to leave more areas unquilted because it's the fluffy parts of the quilt that trap the warmth and make it cozier.
    Any one else ever hear this? What do you think of the idea?
    In the South, temps are generally warmer but we still get some freezing temps. We also have central heat, as does the North. If a person wanted to make a cooler/warmer quilt (for whatever reason), it'd make a lot more sense to just change the batting. My guess is the person just wanted to pass along 'some' advice and that's what popped into her head, bless her heart!
    Old 10-11-2013, 07:01 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

haha, I can relate! I went down and turned on the furnace yesterday morning. I was freezing! no heat, just cool air coming out of the register. sigh two months ago I found the pipe behind the rinse tub had been leaking. nephew fixed it. the belt on the dryer broke. been going to the laundrymat. now this . . . and the almanac says it's gonna be a frigid winter. great. I think I will start a quilt for me. never kept any. even if it's not out of Christmas fabric-something tells me I'm gonna need it. oh, you could make stuffed animals out of your fabric also. I make a dozen or so at one time and donate em to the police. They keep em in the cruisers to gift to a traumatized child. not much but they say at the very least it gives the child some focus. show pics if you can of what you get done. we all need inspiration!
    Originally Posted by carolaug
    LOL..Holice love you answer...I am sitting here wrapped in a quilt with my morning coffee...it feels like 20 degrees. Time for the heat to be turned on my fingers are freezing. I need a quilted finger blanket. ; )
    Old 10-11-2013, 07:04 AM

I have never heard of that and I have lived in the South all my life. I do know that in the Charleston area, there was sometimes no batting in a quilt--just a top and a backing because of the warmth and humidity. I agree with others on the forum; if you need more warmth, just throw on another quilt.
    Old 10-11-2013, 08:56 AM

North or South years ago they quilted to keep the batting from migrating. I've never heard of the issue you are talking about.
    One of the warmest battings is "Thinsulate", yes, the same stuff they put in clothing for cold weather. You can purchase it in various sizes in a bag, just like other battings.
    Old 10-11-2013, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
    You should do quilts how you want to do them. Not what other people tell you to do.
    Ditto on that!!!!!!!!!
    Old 10-12-2013, 06:24 PM

If I lived in the Nawth, I would think some Johnnie Reb was pulling my leg, but since I live in the Sowoth, I think some Yankee is yanking your chain! Seriously, some people like fat quilts and others like them skinny. I've got some of both and the fat ones are warmer than the skinny ones but I remember the winter in West Texas when the temp never got above zero for eight days. We had several inches of snow on the ground and school was called off for a whole week. That kind of weather is unusual for W Texas--no snow plows and no chains on the tires--and we really appreciated every quilt we cold get on the beds, fat or skinny. froggyintexas

Originally Posted by funnyhunnybunny
    I was recently told that for quilts to be used in the south, you should do heavy quilting, because it will be cooler. In the North, you want to leave more areas unquilted because it's the fluffy parts of the quilt that trap the warmth and make it cozier.
    Any one else ever hear this? What do you think of the idea?
    Old 10-12-2013, 07:20 PM

Most of my quilts either go to Australia, California or South Africa..... all have hot weather, and cold weather.

Since I am either sending them with someone on the plane, or I have to mail them. I have used flannel sheets. So far no one has complained, and trust me, if they didn't like it, I'd hear about it.

I live in the north and for anyone Canadian I use either recycled fleece or a 80/20 mix. So far no complaints on those either.

I make quilts with what I can afford, or have on hand, and if they don't like it.... well, to bad!