Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
walmart sewing machines >

walmart sewing machines

walmart sewing machines

Old 10-13-2013, 08:48 AM

I bought a Brother at Walmart and used for over a year sewing and quilting. The throat was very small but I had no problems with it. I sold it on Craig's List to trade up, but I am often sorry I just didn't hold on it it.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:08 AM

Yes, it has needle down, as well as a speed selector, an auto needle threader, and it brings the bobbin thread up for you, tons of stitches, and a built in alphabet!

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
My SIL has the Wal Mart machine. Ok for light sewing like she does but I' not sure I would like it for an every day type of machine. Does it have a needle down position? I would have a hard time FMQ without that. ALso when I FMQ I was told to try sewing with the feed dogs up and the stitch length at 0. You cover the feed dogs with a supreme slider. I feel like my supreme slider while it seems pricey has been worth every penny I paid for it. IN FMQ class the teacher said she found that her stitches on the back came out nicer when she didn't drop the feed dogs. This works well on my Janome.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

Jim got my Brother SQ9000 from Walmart a little over three years ago, and I love it! Could not be happier.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:05 AM

I have been doing FMQ after taking Leah Day's class. She tells us to quilt by putting stitch length down to zero. This is instead of dropping feed dogs. Works well for me and you might want to try it. Betsy
Old 10-13-2013, 12:18 PM

I bought a serger (BROTHER) from Wal-Mart (134D) and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It is awesome and does so much. It even threads easily. I love it . The other brother was an embroider/sewer and SE350 and also awesome. I didn't get it at Wal-Mart.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:51 PM

I bought a Brother at Costco for travel. They're lightweight and have many fabulous features. And at $150, if it lasts even 10 yrs I'm happy.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:41 PM

You can kind of feel if the machine is quality. It might seem way too light, or it may bend when you twist the plastic case. From what I understand, manufacturers will make machines that aren't so great for mass market (Wal-Mart) and make quality machines for dealers. The in-between seems to be ebay. You can get dealer machines on ebay for the price of mass-market machines. Often, legit dealers will sell their items for less on ebay, even though they are new and come with the same warranty.

A better idea might be to visit your local dealers and see if they have any trade-in machines they are selling for less, especially if they will stand by the sale and offer support.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:59 PM

I have a basic Brother machine I bought from Wal-Mart ( among others that I have) and it has been great.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
You can kind of feel if the machine is quality. It might seem way too light, or it may bend when you twist the plastic case. From what I understand, manufacturers will make machines that aren't so great for mass market (Wal-Mart) and make quality machines for dealers. The in-between seems to be ebay. You can get dealer machines on ebay for the price of mass-market machines. Often, legit dealers will sell their items for less on ebay, even though they are new and come with the same warranty.

A better idea might be to visit your local dealers and see if they have any trade-in machines they are selling for less, especially if they will stand by the sale and offer support.

There's nothing wrong with an inexpensive, lightweight machine, if it gets the job done. Since so many, many people love their Brother machines from WalMart, they've pretty much proven their 'quality' status.

Not everyone wants to pay a high price, for a sewing machine. As someone else said, the most important part of a sewing machine, is the person doing the sewing.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by maryfrang View Post
From a local repair man, I know he cannot repair the machines sold at Wal Mart. Either Brother or Singer. He cannot get the repair parts for them. They are not available for him to get. He once called the machines, disposable machines. Some may be lucky by not doing any tuff sewing with them, but will they hold up for long. good luck
My machine was under $100, and in the 7 years of daily use, I have never had it serviced. For that amount, I would just buy another Brother,