Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is $200 to quilt a queen a fair price? >

Is $200 to quilt a queen a fair price?

Is $200 to quilt a queen a fair price?

Old 10-13-2013, 06:51 PM

I'm a Longarmer from Northern VA. I charge 1.8 cents a square inch for meander or simple panto and 2 cents for most other more dense pantos. Even a simple quilt design can take many hours of work..usually 6-8 depending on size. I spend a lot of time making sure the quilt is square and the lines stay horizontal and vertical all the way down the quilt. I want my quilting to showcase the quilt. I still spend a lot of time picking the pattern and buying patterns that will match my customers quilt the best. I do not charge for thread, but charge for batting.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:01 PM

I paid $189 for a twin quilt 4 years ago. I thought it was too high, but then I would, since I had to pay for it. That included the batting; binding was $20 more.

It is a lot of work, takes longer than you'd think, even for a general meander.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
I really felt the need to chip in here. I have heard many, many times that a longarm quilter charges are too high. But does the person who believes the charge is too high allowed for what the charge needs to cover. My longarm business is in my home, but I still have overhead expenses to pay: the electricity I use, my machine that cost several thousands of dollars, state and county business license, insurance, taxes. Then there is not only the cost of thread and batting, but all the patterns and rulers (templetes) that I need to complete quilts. And to keep up with what is new, I need to subscribe to professional quilting magazines, attend meetings (sometimes out of state), pay dues to professional organizations, take classes that sometimes cost several hundreds of dollars. Spend time with accounting and invoicing. All for minimum wages? I don't think so.
I feel overwhelmed just reading your post! I never considered all the extra things you mentioned that go into a LA business. I've had a few people approach me about LA'ing quilts for them or selling my quilts, but I'm not at all interested in turning my hobby into a business. Your post just confirmed my feeling even more!