Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pincushion filling >

pincushion filling

pincushion filling

Old 10-02-2013, 11:55 AM

If you can find wool roving, the natural lanolin will keep your needles and pins rust-free forever.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:28 PM

I don't think I've seen a rusted pin in 50 years. They're all either stainless steel or nickel-plated steel these days, very rust resistant.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by d.rickman View Post
Here are some of those pincushions I gave away:[ATTACH=CONFIG]439062[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]439063[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]439064[/ATTACH]
Love those pincushion "Goodies ", is there a pattern?
Old 10-04-2013, 07:22 AM

great pincushions.. but especially love the bird... is there a pattern you can share or point me to?
Originally Posted by d.rickman View Post
Here are some of those pincushions I gave away:[ATTACH=CONFIG]439062[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]439063[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]439064[/ATTACH]
Old 10-14-2013, 10:48 AM

You do know that the crushed walnuts are not animal fodder. They are used in reptile cages as bedding. I don't think I would give it to your daughters chickens as some Maples are poisonous to animals if the leaves/shells themselves are eaten.
Originally Posted by Ginaky View Post
I have used the crushed walnut shells and I'm not happy with them. The ends of the pins seem to dull when you leave them in the pin cushion. I don't think I'll use it again--and I had to buy a large bag, too! Maybe I should give it to my daughter for her chickens!
Old 12-07-2013, 01:25 PM
MMM

I received a cute little pin cushion as a gift a few weeks ago -- and am wondering if I'm having some sort of reaction the filling -- Has anyone heard of anything like this? (I hope so - else I may be losing it!!). Right after I started using the new pin cushion, I found that my lips and inside my mouth get numb and tingling shortly after I started pinning my quilt together. At first, I thought it was just odd, and didn't make the connection to the pin cushion........but I started paying more attention to it and am really convinced this is the problem. I had one 2-day point where I did no sewing/pinning and it cleared up.......then started all over again the next day when I pieced another little quilt top......and it seemed to be getting to be a stronger reaction at that point. So, now I've pulled all the pins together and washed them (yes...I have lost my mind!) and then rinsed them in rubbing alcohol to hopefully avoid rusting).......and I'm going to see what happens next. I don't know what kind of filling is in this pin cushion- it's soft on the top part of the pin cushion, but there is definitely something harder and firmer (and heavier) at the base. The inside of my mouth is still not back to normal -- scary! (p.s. I guess I should point out that I am one of those sewers who was taught to hold pins in the mouth so hands were free to hold the fabric together!!.....I started laughing when I re-read this before posting! LOL)

Last edited by MMM; 12-07-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:50 PM

I would put on gloves and remove the filling and fill with sand.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:28 PM
MMM

Hi Judy, Thanks for the reply. I haven't used sand in pin cushions before, but have had a couple of purchased ones where the sand leaked out of them. How do you keep that from happening? And is there any issue with rusting when you use sand? Thanks, M.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I received a cute little pin cushion as a gift a few weeks ago -- and am wondering if I'm having some sort of reaction the filling -- Has anyone heard of anything like this? (I hope so - else I may be losing it!!). Right after I started using the new pin cushion, I found that my lips and inside my mouth get numb and tingling shortly after I started pinning my quilt together. At first, I thought it was just odd, and didn't make the connection to the pin cushion........but I started paying more attention to it and am really convinced this is the problem. I had one 2-day point where I did no sewing/pinning and it cleared up.......then started all over again the next day when I pieced another little quilt top......and it seemed to be getting to be a stronger reaction at that point. So, now I've pulled all the pins together and washed them (yes...I have lost my mind!) and then rinsed them in rubbing alcohol to hopefully avoid rusting).......and I'm going to see what happens next. I don't know what kind of filling is in this pin cushion- it's soft on the top part of the pin cushion, but there is definitely something harder and firmer (and heavier) at the base. The inside of my mouth is still not back to normal -- scary! (p.s. I guess I should point out that I am one of those sewers who was taught to hold pins in the mouth so hands were free to hold the fabric together!!.....I started laughing when I re-read this before posting! LOL)
MMM I'm wearing my nurse hat for the moment. Get rid of the pin cushion. Give it to a friend or rel. Next time you're exposed you might stop breathing. Not worth it. If you cannot part with it have SOMEONE ELSE remove the filling outside then wash it. Then refill with fiberfill or other non organic filling. Keep benedryl and Zantac in your cabinet.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by mengler View Post
MMM I'm wearing my nurse hat for the moment. Get rid of the pin cushion. Give it to a friend or rel. Next time you're exposed you might stop breathing. Not worth it. If you cannot part with it have SOMEONE ELSE remove the filling outside then wash it. Then refill with fiberfill or other non organic filling. Keep benedryl and Zantac in your cabinet.
This is exactly what I intended to say