Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
walmart sewing machines >

walmart sewing machines

walmart sewing machines

Old 10-14-2013, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
The Brother CS-6000i will be the same machine, regardless of where you buy it. Brother does not make different models of the same machine, for different stores.
Thanks! Makes me feel better that it wasn't just from buying from Wal-Mart! Maybe just bad luck. I did like the machine a lot when it was working.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:44 PM

I bought one of the models @ $279 a couple of years ago and really liked it. It has been a work horse. Light weight to take to classes. Since then I have bought a used Janome 6600 used & a Babylock Asante. I use the Janome the most. Love it. Brother is in the closet.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:45 PM

I have a cheap brother and there are things about it I really love, but I was quilting with a lead foot and bent the shaft. Parts on order and hubby can fix it, but I still prefer my vintage machines. Who couldn't love a machine that will stitch thru a tin can without bogging down, breaking a needle, or in any other way indicate it is struggling http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJMgayFXnYw. Just bought a singer 401 and with the cams should make all the pretty stitches. Paid $28 for it and it will most likely outlast me.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by lclang View Post
If you buy a cheap machine, you get a cheap machine. It doesn't matter much where you get it. I would prefer to buy a really good used machine instead. Check with your dealer or watch on e-bay or your local thrift store. I believe the Brother was bought out by Babylock and those are wonderful machines. I think the Brothers are much better than they used to be but still would spend the money to buy a Babylock or another more expensive machine.
Actually brother and babylock are 2 separate companies entirely, babylock purchases brother machines and puts their name on them. If you buy most TOL babylocks you are essentially buying a brother.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by maryfrang View Post
From a local repair man, I know he cannot repair the machines sold at Wal Mart. Either Brother or Singer. He cannot get the repair parts for them. They are not available for him to get. He once called the machines, disposable machines. Some may be lucky by not doing any tuff sewing with them, but will they hold up for long. good luck
Maybe you can only get parts if you are an authorized dealer, repairman, some companies are very strict about those things.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
You'll find this if you dig around the old posts, but the big box store machine (walmart, Joann , Costco etc) may be made by the same company, but they ARE a lower quality than dealer machines. To some people, cost is the only consideration, the fact that they are a lower quality may not matter. To other people, cost is not as much of an problem ,and a higher quality machine and dealer service backup is worth the extra money. Yes, you can probably get a serviceable machine at walmart, or a lemon at a dealer store, but just be aware of the facts before you decide.
Actually if you talk to reps of the company or the company itself and not the dealer they will tell you that they are the same machines inside and out. It would cost a company alot of money to manufacter many models in different ways it just wouldn't even be cost effective. I do believe the cheaper machines can be quality machines otherwise people wouldn't have them for so long. Yes some people run through them but again these are not industrial machines and I guarantee the people that run through them are using them as such and expecting them to last like 1k models you can'r compare a 100 dollar machine to a 1200 hundred dollar machine, or a 1k machine to a 10k machine, it just simply isn't a fair comparison of durability.You can't say 100 dollar machine is crap more than you can say a 5k machine is the best. I have both and have seen other models and can honestly say in certain areas that my cheaper machine did a better job in classes than machines that were thousand dollars more, and its plastic. I actually like this thread because I have seen more positives here from people on walmart machines than negatives, and many have had their machines for years showing that these machines can last. My little walmart brother is much loved as much as my 7k machine. I would recommend them to anyone starting out.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:37 AM

I always steer people who are looking for a sewing machine toward Brother machines. Brother is a large company that did not start out making office printers and faxes in the 70's - Brother started out making sewing machines in the mid 20's. They were the first company to develop an industrial embroidery machine, if you were wondering why their embroidery stitches out so beautifully. They know their stuff when it comes to sewing machines, if they didn't, Babylock would not source their machines from them. Some people don't need a $$$$ or can afford a $$$$ dealer machine. Buy what you can afford. I will say this though, I have noticed Walmart is now stocking more Singer's than Brother's. I don't consider this a good thing.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:48 AM

My local sewing machine guy told me several years ago, if you buy from a box store to buy a brother. Said they are better machines and easier to work on. I had a brother machine for several years and gave to my sis. Just recently got a brother machine from my son, very happy with it so far. Still, I prefer the vintage machines. Nice to have the extra stitches and such though.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:58 AM

I would stay away from Walmart sewing machines, for reasons already mentioned.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:53 AM

kI have one the I paid about $125.00 for (my DIL has it now). I used it for many years until I bought an embroidery machine - also a Brother. I think they are great machines. They are a real workhorse and will sew almost anything.