Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Crinkly Look after Washing >

Quilt Crinkly Look after Washing

Quilt Crinkly Look after Washing

Old 10-14-2013, 08:05 PM

I have been thinking about this very thing lately, I wonder if steaming the quilt would make it look more like it did before washing???
Old 10-14-2013, 10:15 PM

Did you wash the backing and batting. If not one of these shrunk.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:33 AM

Check your thread. I know it's not supposed to but I have had a few that it just looks like the thread is pulling tight.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:45 AM

To me, they're supposed to look crinkly and soft. But, if this helps any, I prewash and use quilter's dream batting, too. I wash the quilt as Harriet Hargrave recommends, doing the agitation myself and rinsing/spinning at low speed. Then I spread it on the floor, over a few blankets, to dry. I usually smooth it out gently and pat any places that need extra attention, like embroidery. Then, I position a few fans to blow air over it. It dries in the same way it's originally laid down; that is, it doesn't crinkle more or less after positioning. QD is supposed to shrink a few percentage points and, if you think about it, cotton doesn't come out of the washer or dryer without any wrinkles, either. Unless it's permapress or treated somehow.

If you use a polyester batt, it will likely crinkle less, but as long as the fabric is cotton, it doesn't seem realistic to expect it to look just like it did after pressing.

Hugs,
Charlotte
Old 10-15-2013, 04:14 AM

If you used the same washing/drying methods as you always have then it must have been the fabric. There has been many post about Joann's fabrics. Was this some of the cheaper fabric from Joanns? Did you over dry the quilt? As we can all atest to cotton will shrink over time especially if it is over dried. When I was my quilts , i do not put them in the dryer but rather dry them over a bush outside or lay them over chairs inside.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:04 AM
Banned

I love the crinkly look! I never pre wash batting so I can get this look.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

I like the crinkly look also. I use high loft batting. I have found after spreading it when using on the bed, most of the crinkly look goes away. I always pre wash fabric and wash and dry my quilts when finished sewing on the binding. If I really want a smooth bed cover, I would buy it.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
If you use cotton batting you could iron the quilt after it is washed. Not so if you use polyester, the iron would melt the batting. What about using a steamer? I have one but haven't tried it out yet.
I have ironed tons of polyester batting. It hasn't melted. Just don't use the highest setting.

As for why it crinkled- not everything shrinks fully on prewashing. Some fabrics have to be washed many times on the hottest setting to get all the shrink out.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:27 AM

I too like the crinkly look - except on my table runners. I always prewash those fabrics and then not dry it completely and then press.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:50 AM

Thread is cotton so could also shrink. I prewash all fabric and use 80/20 batting but still get the crinkle look.