Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on the cheap? >

Quilting on the cheap?

Quilting on the cheap?

Old 10-19-2013, 05:19 PM

What colors are you thinking of? Would you be able to pay postage on fabric?
Old 10-19-2013, 05:23 PM

To be honest I do a LOT of my shopping at Joann Fabrics. Sign up for their free catalog- it comes with coupons, log onto the website and print the free coupons, if you have a smartphone get the app it has coupons to use at the register, and finally sign up for the emails where you can either print or use them at the register (again with smartphone). They let you use as many coupons as possible!

Another thing I do alot is buy it in pieces. Get the fabric for the top. Then buy the batting/backing. Do it on an as needed basis.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by woody View Post
Whittles fabrics has lots of fabrics for under $5/ yard and the postage is reasonable too. I have always been happy with their service and their fabrics.
http://www.whittlesfabrics.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi
thanks for for that link! There are some great prices there. I wish I lived near them so I could shop in their physical store, I bet it is awesome
Old 10-19-2013, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by joyce blint View Post
What colors are you thinking of? Would you be able to pay postage on fabric?
sure, I could pay postage. I really haven't thought as far as colors yet, I was just looking for the most inexpensive route before I started planning it out. I know she likes old school patchwork quilts and any of the ring quilts. She likes blues, neutrals, greens... But doesn't really go for bright/bold colors. I was thinking about doing a 9 patch or something else that would let me quilt in the ditch since my FMQ needs work. I also think it would be easy for me to customize the size of something like a 9 patch, since her extended queen bed is an uncommon size and she wants it to hang long on the sides.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by narnianquilter View Post
To be honest I do a LOT of my shopping at Joann Fabrics. Sign up for their free catalog- it comes with coupons, log onto the website and print the free coupons, if you have a smartphone get the app it has coupons to use at the register, and finally sign up for the emails where you can either print or use them at the register (again with smartphone). They let you use as many coupons as possible!

Another thing I do alot is buy it in pieces. Get the fabric for the top. Then buy the batting/backing. Do it on an as needed basis.
The local Jo-Ann is kind of lame, but I do shop there when I get their coupons. I get the ones in the mail and on their site (I just show it to them on my phone so I don't have to print), I really should sign up for the others I guess. There is a better Jo-Ann in the neighboring town, it just isn't very convenient. I do wait to buy the batting/backing, no point in buying that stuff until I am done with the top. I usually seem to end up buying things other than fabric though, or walking out with 5 more things than I meant to buy!
Old 10-19-2013, 07:46 PM

Many of the suggestions are good. I personally find sheets tough to work with, but have tried the other suggestions. A good muslin makes a good backing and or background fabric the quilt. This cost less than many other fabrics but do buy the better muslin.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:36 PM

Thanks to all of you...so many great ideas that I had never thought of before! You guys rock. I had no clue that goodwill and thrift stores carried fabric, and never thought of free cycle or craigslist. I have lots of things to explore now.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:15 AM

If you decide to go scrappy, PM me.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I used to never see fabric at our local thrift stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army, St. Vincent's, etc). I was always looking in the craft sections. One day I was on the search for some sheets and blankets to use for when we foster dogs for our local Animal Care & Control. Lo and behold, there on hangers near the sheets and table linens were different lengths of cotton fabric!!! So make sure you check the linens sections as I have learned that is where all the thrift stores in my city keep it!!!
I was in need of a red back for a t-shirt quilt, looked in the linens section and found a red comforter. All cotton, bought it, washed, removed the stitching and batting----it is on the quilt and have the other piece ready to back another quilt.
One time I found a flannel duvet cover, all cotton, took it apart and have 2 backs for real cheap. Am scanning the Goodwill linen area all the time now for 'fabric'.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:56 AM

Why have I always heard not to use sheets as a backing?