Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
wonky flying geese - need help >

wonky flying geese - need help

wonky flying geese - need help

Old 10-20-2013, 04:24 PM

I love Ricky Tims' One Seam Flying Geese - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Mu0C_QL8Y EASY!!!
Old 10-20-2013, 06:49 PM

I also starch, and do not use steam when pressing them open.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Power Poster

I sometimes only trim the back piece of the triangle and leave the backing piece intact. Then I don't have to worry about the triangular piece when sewing the geese together because I can focus on the backing piece.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:56 AM

I was admiring a fabulous quilt top at a local quilt shop; I looked at the back to look at the seams and I discovered that the shop owner had not trimmed her blocks she used for her flying geese. I commented that was interesting, all of her flying geese were perfect. She told me maybe she shouldn't have hung the top because "professional" quilters would say she is all wrong by not trimming the blocks but she has tried everything and that is the only way she can make perfect geese. The small untrimmed blocks really didn't add bulk - much like having a bigger than 1/4" seam. She figured keeping the block whole didn't stretch the fabric on the bias. Just a thought!
Old 10-21-2013, 03:39 AM

If you are sewing on the diagonal line, that is the problem. Sew just beside the line towards the corner to give you the necessary fabric to make the fold.

Originally Posted by misoop View Post
I am currently piecing a top with 3 flying geese units in each block before adding triangles around the FG. I am very careful to mark my little squares diagonally for the flying geese and sew very straight down the diagonal lines, etc. I press carefully after each corner is sew, the add the other corner and repeat. Nonetheless, I still do not end up with a perfect rectangle. It's always smaller than the 5 inches it's supposed to be in some part of the FG. It will be 5" in some places but not consistent through out the rectangle. Any suggestions....how do you prevent this? I'm open for all kinds of suggestions.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I always use Eleanor Burns method making 4 flying Geese units out of two squares. I am sure there is a video on her website. They come out perfect every time. But if you happen to be off a bit, you can always make the correction before trimming them down.
Yep, this is a great way to have them come out "poifect." (perfect)
Old 10-21-2013, 05:28 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

awe now I'm gonna have to go on a flying geese kick and see which way works best for me. I don't have a wing clipper and no money to buy one but I'm going to make tomorrow a geese day. I too have a history of the geese not being a rectangle when I am done. discouraging to say the least
Old 10-21-2013, 05:43 AM

Also a fan of Eleanor Burns geese rulers.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

If you Google "Dutchman's Puzzle" the video has a really good demo for flying geese. I've added to my favorites. It is a YouTube. You can also just google "flying geese" Dutchman's is best and least waste.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

The "Dutchman's Puzzle video of the flyin geese does not need an EB ruler. Money saved.