Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Houston International Quilt Show >

Houston International Quilt Show

Houston International Quilt Show

Old 10-23-2013, 03:18 PM

I have been going for 15 years. Wear comfy shoes, take a huge shopping bag, buy a program at the door ($1) and have a pen to mark areas you want to go back to, and pace yourself. there are over 1000 vendors and 1000 quilts to look at!!!!!!
Old 10-23-2013, 04:06 PM

I went with a friend a couple of years ago. It was very exciting. I would go again in a minute. The quilts were wonderful and the vendors fantastic! You will have a great time.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:34 PM

I moved to the Houston area 2008. This will be the 5th year I've gone to festival.
My MIL and 3 wonderful friends fly in and stay with us for at least 4 days to go to festival - it's been an annual get-together for us 4 years in a row!

Here area a few things that we have learned:

1. Bring a small "essentials kit" large enough for - ibuprofen/antacids/anti-diarrhea/band-aids/hand sanitizer/package of wipes or anything of that nature. It truly sucks to have an upset tummy or headache and have no relief!

2. Comfort over fashion! - break out those comfy "able to wear all day shoes"

3. Pack a bottle of water and few small snacks - candy bars etc. Carry these with you. It's amazing how much a candy bar will boost you up when you think you're just about exhausted and it's only 2pm.

4. V A L E T parking is your friend and VERY much worth the few extra bucks. (Literally about 5 bucks more to get out and be back in your car at the door!) You will appreciate this when you are the last one to be shooed out at closing time and your feet are killing you - and you have 50 pounds of loot to carry to your car!

5. Be there early to get in. We are usually of the first 25 people in the door. Most people start at the left side and work their way to the right (numerical order) - instead.. start on the right and work your way left. We've found it's less crowded that way. Of course by the time you get to the middle it's pretty much like sardines in a can everywhere.

6. Watch your toes. Some people get a little wild with those scooters and will run over your toes if you are not careful.
Case in point: One of my friends was undergoing chemotherapy last year and was using a scooter. She accidentally ran over my toes - she just wasn't familiar enough with the operation. There will be many people using one that have never used one before in their lives!

7. Have patience and be prepared to say, "excuse me" - "pardon me" - "sorry!" It is very crowded and you will inevitably accidentally bump into someone! It's amazing how much basic manners can smooth over an oopsie! However, you'd be amazed at the number of people out there that don't practice this basic principle. Look out for those people, they will also be the ones most offended if you do accidentally bump into them.

8. Because there are 5 of us there together, we bring my husband's huge old Air Force duffel bag. (any HUGE bag will do) We pack a cooler bag in there with sandwiches. (I got food poisoning from under-cooked chicken there one year and I trust nothing cooked there... plus we have food allergies mixed in there too) We do, however, buy our chips and drinks there. We check the bag in when we first get there. We check it out when we're ready for lunch. We play show and tell at lunch. After lunch we all stow away our purchases in the duffel and check it back in. We typically text each other back and forth all day and will get together once or twice in the afternoon to check the bag out and put more loot in the duffel bag. This greatly eliminates carrying tons of stuff around plus, because there are 5 of us, the $1 charge is a cheap price to pay to not have to carry our stuff around all day.

9. Take breaks - there are usually chairs at the end of the aisles toward the rear of the convention floor. Have a seat and eat a candy bar.

10. One thing we'll be doing different this year: My friend (the same one on the scooter!) had her credit card number taken by a vendor and used to make a reservation at a nearby hotel. We know this because she was called by the card company while we were shopping - just after her card was declined during a purchase at a different vendor. Lucky for her that she was with friends and could spot her purchases for the rest of the day! With this experience in mind, we are carrying cash this year. Do I relish the thought of keeping up with a lot of cash? No, but I don't want to risk having my card number stolen and have nothing either.

11. The MOST IMPORTANT thing to do when going to festival is HAVE A GREAT TIME & ENJOY!
Old 10-23-2013, 07:30 PM

I didn't go year before last because I didn't have anyone to go with. But last year, I went anyway! Had lots of fun just going at my own pace. This year I have made a quilting friend, and we are going on the bus the Mainland Morning Quilt Guild is taking on Thurs. Don't have to worry about parking or traffic. I live in Bacliff now, not far to go.

Originally Posted by sguillot View Post
i HOPE TO GO. I live in League City just about 10 miles from the convention center but I don't like going by my self because of the neighborhood. I say, Have a good time but don't walk around the area alone.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:40 PM

i HOPE TO GO. I live in League City just about 10 miles from the convention center but I don't like going by my self because of the neighborhood. I say, Have a good time but don't walk around the area alone.
The area around GRB isn't all that good, but if you just park across the street and go in you're fine. I've been doing it for about 10 years now and have never had a problem. I even had to park in Chinatown one night and walk out alone and just joined some other people and it was fine. Normally, there is so much traffic around the Convention Center and security guards out front so unless you are leaving late at night by yourself, you're okay.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:53 PM

The area around GRB isn't all that good, but if you just park across the street and go in you're fine. I've been doing it for about 10 years now and have never had a problem. I even had to park in Chinatown one night and walk out alone. I just joined some other people and it was fine. Normally, there is so much foot traffic around the Convention Center and security guards out front so unless you are leaving late at night by yourself, you're okay.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:02 PM

It is a fantastic experience, mind blowing. Lots of vendors and beautiful quilts. I miss being close enough to go.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:33 PM

I'll be there on Saturday,Nov. 2nd all day.
Sharon
Old 10-24-2013, 03:30 AM

envy, envy, envy!!! In a good way. Went for the first and only time last year with SIL and niece. Great fun and oh the sights you will see!!!
Old 10-24-2013, 06:20 AM

Jean,
Yep, I'm headed out of RDU on Wed and will probably do preview night. I'm hitting the show with a Houston girlfriend on Thursday and Friday.

Let's trade #'s in case we want to meet for coffee or lunch. It would be so much fun to meet other board members. My member name is mhobbs.

The countdown is on!!!

Have a great time. I've been once before and all the tips on this thread are true. I've already got a new pair of shoes that I am breaking in this week and I'm taking thick socks. The floor is hard and takes its toll on your back but it's worth every ache and pain.

Maria