Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
2013-2014 Round Robin >

2013-2014 Round Robin

2013-2014 Round Robin

Old 10-25-2013, 06:28 AM

I'm stalking you guys, and therefore am allowed to form and give opinions, right? Right. Lana's quilt is GORGEOUS. Should it get lost in the mail and make it's way over to Kentucky, well, these things sometimes just happen.

Brat, I think using the yellow/gold/in the center on your round would make the center really pop. I like the idea of doing some kind of wavy curves to provide some softness to the lines already on the quilt, or copying the diamond shapes in the original block.

Now I'll shut up and just go back to drooling.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:06 PM

FFQ, you should join us for our next project.

Um... we ARE starting another project, right? I think we need to pic a new "theme" for the group... Like... "inside out" or "mama says..." or even we pick some awesome quote and interpret it in fabric. The "mama says" thing makes me think of Forrest Gump & "Mama says life is like a box of chocolates." I think THAT should be the theme of the next project.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:51 PM

What a cool theme "mama says."
But my mind went to "don't run with scissors" and "if everybody did..." or how about this one - "...your face is gonna freeze that way"
Now that would be funny!
Old 10-25-2013, 07:36 PM

I Must of not been invited to this new event because I am not sure what you all are talking about
Old 10-26-2013, 03:55 AM

me too Melissa think they are .. ignoring us .. because my mind works like that all the time.. and well its normal for me so its not going to be challenge to come up with something.. course my momma was always talking about wearing clean undies so that would not be the quilt I want to make lol.. she had a lot to say half of it never made sense in her German to English translations so given the morning I could come up with four or five. Ok Kelly I am in. Your the lucky winner of setting up teams next round and giving out a theme that we all can interpret into our centers and the rest will follow our personal themes when they work on them.. howabout a few of my favorite things. .. ok my mom said men are like pie, rhubard, cherry, apple your still eating pie. that is vat men are like. she also said they are all pigs and well I don't want a pig quilt.. maybe a pie quilt but not a pig quilt. .. lol if I looked at this pie fruit quilt I would laugh every single time I saw it.. my dh would wonder why the heck I wanted a pie quilt.. he doesn't know that story. oh dear no pick another theme please.. like 'the colors of my forest' some like spring, some like fall, some like winter, or those crazy ones like summer... or fly away with me.. and pick your theme destination either in colors or types of fabrics.. (southwest.. turquoise, rust etc..).. you know it could sound hard but be super easy like that.. so of course we will all sign up (your welcome I just signed you all up to save you time and energy).. ever thoughtful that is me
Old 10-26-2013, 04:52 PM

I think MamaH was just trying to get another one started with her comment not saying that one had been.
Brat - you are a hoot!
I was thinking about this "theme" idea some today too. I would love to do a "my favorite things" kind of quilt - maybe in a bookcase style. I could provide the "shelves" strips and the first shelf of items. Then others could make blocks of their favorite things to be put on the other shelves - kind of like a row robin - but the block maker would choose the size of their shelf and amount of items to be added to the shelf.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:47 PM

OOoooooh I REALLY like that idea - the shelves and such.

I am thinking about doing the next RR maybe starting in January/Feb? I'm happy to organize it but I am still a bit booked for a few weeks. I've got to tell you, I spent ALL day (starting at 8:05 am and just finished at 8:40 pm) working on Michael's quilt for Christmas. I didn't take a picture yet because no one wanted to get up off the couch to hold it up for me. I've still got some borders to do but the major work is complete. That's the most time I've spent sewing since August. I miss days like this. Tomorrow I get to grade tests all day and get my stuff prepped for the week. True story: I want to be a stay-at-home-bum and just sew. I don't really want a job that requires me to get up or dressed or do anything that's actually productive outside my own circle of influence.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:53 PM

Ok... so maybe "These are a few of my favorite things" rr. But you would HAVE to send a list with a minimum # of "favorite" things so people have some ideas what to include (or NOT include). And of course... have it open to interpretation, so like... I LOVE salted caramel. Kind of hard to build into a quilt BUT you could do a caramel-colored fabric. Or I love jewelry (not the case for me personally) so use jewel toned fabrics or diamond shapes... so you've got to find a way to interpret into a quilt-able thing.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:28 PM

ok I get the point of picking the ideas but not really understand the "shelve" part. Does it basically mean you would put stuff onto a sashing strip? I am up to start one in January. I need to get my butt into my sewing room more often. Stop procrastinating and get to it. I would love to see some pictures of quilts even if they aren't part of this round robin. Thanks ladies.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:34 AM

Yes - the shelves would be a sashing strip sent by the owner. It would help to give the quilt a unified look. You can google Bookcase quilts but below are a few I found. MH's suggestion about using fabric to interpret "thing" might be a good way to make a few books.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]443442[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]443443[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]443444[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]443445[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Quilt Wall Creative Journeys016.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	359.6 KB
ID:	443442   Click image for larger version

Name:	bookcase-q.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	443443   Click image for larger version

Name:	vicky-bookcase-sm.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	46.6 KB