Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stupidity and a permanent marker >

Stupidity and a permanent marker

Stupidity and a permanent marker

Old 10-25-2013, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

I know alcohol can take permanent sharpie off of plastic but I am afraid it would only smear on fabric.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:15 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
I bought the stronger alcohol to try. It blurred it a bit. After it dried I just stitched it with white. For the rest of the marking I used a disappearing ink marker. After the quilt is done I will use more alcohol right before I wash it. That should at least blur it a little more.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:19 AM

On a different piece of fabric, do the same thing. Then, using a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol, dab at the colour to see if that will coax it to come out. I have used rubbing alcohol (or methyl hydrate) for years to get rid of permanent marker stains from where I didn't want them to be. I'm just not sure how it will work for fabric, although it works very well for other surfaces.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:19 AM

Pam, get another little sandwich and try to use HAIR SPRAY ON IT. See if that works. I've used it several times. But when I did it, it was immediately after I used the pen. It might work. spray quite a bit. 'ON A SANDWICH FIRST'.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:38 AM

I am a cosmetologist. The reason that hairspray works to get out ink, is the fact of the alcohol that is in it. And, if you use too much, it will sometimes spread the ink to places you would rather it didn't. I would test it on scraps first.

Originally Posted by barny View Post
Pam, get another little sandwich and try to use HAIR SPRAY ON IT. See if that works. I've used it several times. But when I did it, it was immediately after I used the pen. It might work. spray quite a bit. 'ON A SANDWICH FIRST'.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:08 AM

Smile Marker Problems

The best way to disguise the marker would be to make a small braid using embroidery floss and couch it down in whatever color you want.
bettebook

Originally Posted by Pam H View Post
I remember hearing about using Glad press and seal to mark lines for machine quilting. Sounded like a good idea.....until I used a permanent marker for my tracing and then sewed over that line. The white thread turned black. I thought when I ripped out the thread it would be ok. Nope. Anyone have any tips for getting the black marker out? The only thing I can think of would be to do my stitching in a dark color.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:45 AM

I was going to suggest asking a dry cleaner also, or maybe a carpet cleaner. The carpet cleaner company I use has told me the only stain they can't get out is rust, so they must have something.

Years ago, we bought a new couch, and the manufacturer gave us a bottle of some sort of cleaner. The couch was only 2 or 3 days old when my toddler scribbled on it with a Sharpie. I used that cleaner and the Sharpie completely disappeared! I wish I knew what that cleaner was. I still have it. It has no brand name, just says "solvent spotter", and it smells like oranges.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:07 AM

when we got permanent marker on things when I worked we used acetone which is in some nailpolish remover. it removed the marker everytime. you will want to try it on a scrap of fabric first to see how it effects your fabric first. good luck.jan
Old 10-25-2013, 09:33 AM

Try a fabric paint and paint over the lines. Those are typically heat set. It works and doesn't wash out. Ask me how I know, it was one of those LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES. I didn't do that, but I stitched w/a white thread on top and a dark thread on the bottom. Where I started and stopped w/the midarm, the bottom thread showed. That was the only way that I could figure to fix it. I actually had to mix 2 whites/off whites to get the color that I needed.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:50 AM

try rubbing alcohol--sometimes it will work