Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Shipping Charges with Online Store >

Shipping Charges with Online Store

Shipping Charges with Online Store

Old 10-25-2013, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by onemoe View Post
I was going to order an embroidery Cd on sale $29 and found the shipping from Texas was about the same cost. cancelled my order
That's the same problem I'm finding here lately. I wonder if some of it is Canada Post's fault. I found the fabric I wanted to ship from the US, $40 in shipping! It was under 10 yards. I'm quite sure they weren't "thoughtfully" including the duty and brokerage for me either. Then I realized that what I'm reasonably sure was under $10 to ship to BC from AB not long ago cost me $12.22. It was -just- over the thickness of a letter (she actually crammed it through the slot then said nope, too big... uh,.. what?) and smaller than a regular letter sized envelope and less than 200g. Canada Post seems to have forgotten that many businesses need reasonable shipping rates to be able to continue to do business.

I found this out when I was going to order a bunch of Singer motor lube and make it available to people who needed it, but the price of shipping a single tube is 3 - 4 times the cost of the lube.

I guess what I'm saying is that the people in the US are getting -way- better shipping prices than we get, even within our own country.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:26 PM

Some stores will quote a charge for postage and then change it when they ship, because that is how the website is set up. The store then has to change it manually.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:40 PM

I love fabric.com. Free shipping on orders over $35 and they have coupon codes a lot. Plus they cut very generously.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:10 AM

I've ordered a lot of stuff from Thousands of Bolts and I've always gotten a pop-up that would tell me I could order X amount of additional fabric for the same shipping fee. Mind you, I don't go there and order a yard of fabric. I'm more inclined to order several yards of a solid and if I get the pop-up I will probably go back and add some smaller items since they will ship for the same price.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:11 AM

Priority Mail is boon to quilters because you can stuff a lot of fabric in those boxes. I've never ordered from Thousand Bolts and from what I've just read I probably never will. Fabric.com, Favorite Fabric, Missouri Star Quilt, Connecting Threads and equilter are my favorites; for their fabric and their shipping charges. Take a look.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:01 AM

Shipping is a big thing with me if I am purchasing fabric online. Especially if it is on sale. If the shipping goes up with each item it doesn't give you much of a bargain. I really like those sites that offer free shipping if you buy a certain amount. My favorites are MQC, Connecting Threads, Amazon, and when I can't live without a new series or so Fat Quarter Shop. I buy most of my templates on line if I can't get them from JoAnn's.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:08 AM

shipping period has gone crazy. When standard rate and priority is the same price I have to raise an eyebrow.. I just shipped a toy sewing machine from GA to FL and it was $10 .. I only charged 7 which meant I lost 3 between shipping and paypal and etsy charges I dont' think I made very much . I haven't figured it out yet. But I did have to go back and raise all my shipping charges. I really hated to do that and I think it lost me sales. I had someone ask me if I would ship to Australia and another to Canada.. The shipping was between 2x and 6x the cost of the toy.. Crazy just crazy and what kills me is they come half the time looking like they got run over or at least bounced around a lot. I sure wouldn't want to figure shipping for a bunch of fabric. Although I do know businesses get a cut rate. If a box cost me 30 + to ship my daughter could ship it from work for about half the cost.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:56 AM

If it's actual shipping costs-I used to sell on ebay and a lot of the time, depending on where the recipient lived, parcel post was higher than priority. So it can happen but usually shops don't charge actual shipping.

damaquilts-can you pm me with your etsy shop address? I always love looking at new shops there.