Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shortcuts before basics?.. 4 7/8 inch block >

Shortcuts before basics?.. 4 7/8 inch block

Shortcuts before basics?.. 4 7/8 inch block

Old 10-21-2013, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bamagal View Post
Nope. They do not have the 1/8s marks. I would NEVER have posted this if they did. Back in the day, I pieced mostly by hand using plastic templates so I guess the only rulers I needed had only the basic marks. Lol. Guess I need a makeover! Lol
I'm 66 and I've never seen any ruler that had only 1/4ths.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by ligia View Post
Wow, thereīs something here I have to learn:
I count 1-2-3-4 (1/2")- 5-6-7-8 (-->1") markers.
Isnīt the 7/8 the last marker before the next full inch (the 8th) ?
You are starting with 0", then 1/8, 2/8 or 1/4, 3/8, 4/8 or 1/2, 5/8, 6/8 or 3/4, 7/8, then 1". You misspoke saying marks between inch marks, forgetting to count the first mark.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:07 PM

Most rulers have an 'eighth' 'tick' after each of the 1/4 inch markings on them. Unlike the 1//4 inch marking, It is not usually drawn across the ruler. Good thing for me because all those lines would make me crazy!

I have double vision and sometimes the lines on the rulers kind of merge together when I'm trying to cut. I worked out a way that helps me overcome that might be useful for you with your beginning sewer.

By the way, the written out process looks long and difficult, but it's actually easy after the first couple of times. It definitely helps me with cutting straight.

Here we go!

1) Make sure the end of the fabric where you will begin cutting is straight.

2) Find the 4 and 7/8 'tick' for the length of the ruler. (While I say 'for the length of the ruler', this mark is actually made on the 4 and 7/8 mark on the width of the ruler.)

3) Put a piece of painters tape across the length of the ruler at the 4 and 7/8 point to mark the exact cut line you need to make for the strip.

When I do this, I line the tape up so that the bulk of the piece of tape is inside the 4 & 7/8th marking. If you have 1" wide painters tape, that means the inside edge (the edge you don't use to cut) of the painters tape is at the 3 & 7/8th mark on the ruler.

Note: you can also mark the 4 & 7/8 line on the cutting mat, but it is much easier to remove from the ruler. If you put it on the cutting mat, you may cut the painters tape in little slices and then you have a heck of a time taking them off. Yes, I learned that the hard way.

4) Line the end of the fabric up with the 4 & 7/8 marking and cut the strip.

Note: This assumes that you put the unmarked edge of the ruler over the fabric and slide it up so that the edge of the fabric lines up with the 4 & 7/8 painters tape mark, then cut at the unmarked end of the ruler.

5) After you have cut the strip:

Mark the ruler with another piece of painters tape at the 4 and 7/8 mark of the length of the ruler to cut the individual blocks. (You will cut the individual blocks using the edge of the width of the ruler.) Again, I put the bulk of the tape inside (to the left) of the cut mark.

You can do this before you cut the strip, as well. It might even be better to do it before cutting the strip because it acts as a visual clue to help you position the ruler correctly on the fabric before you cut the strip.

You'll always know, just by looking, which way to position the ruler to cut the strip.

Now you should have a 4 and 7/8" square block marked on the ruler.

Use this mark to cut the individual blocks.

Note: Again, this assumes that you put the unmarked edge of the ruler over the fabric and slide it up so that the end of the fabric lines up with the 4 & 7/8 painters tape mark, then cut at the unmarked end of the ruler.

I hope this helps!
Old 10-21-2013, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas View Post
All you folks who say your rulers have 1/8 marks or 1/16 marks are probably correct, but unless you know what the marks mean, they are useless marks. I looked at every ruler I own--and believe me, I own a bunch--and the only one that has 1/8 increments both maked and with writng to explain the mark, is Easy Ruler II. Knowing what all those skinny little marks are is not somethng you "just know," any more than you "just know" the sun comes up in the east and sets in the west or that you "just know" that if you face north, west is on your left and east is on your right. You may figure it out on your own, but it certainly does make things easier if there is someone to teach you.

I didn't know what all those tiny little lines and intervals on rulers and professional measuring tapes were until my brother, who is a master plumber who had to get correct measurements for pipes and fittings, taught me.

AS for a 4 7/8 block, please give it a rest! Make everything you can 1/8 inch larger and go on about the business of making the quilt.

I am afraid I think measuring quilt blocks in 1/8 inch increments is as ludicrous as the scant 1/4 inch, which to date no one has explained very satisfactorily to me. If it is, as people have told me, the width of a thread--PHOOEY!

But then, I'm your basic noncompetitor who wants things finished instead of perfect! Remember your high school home ec teacher who made you "take it out," until the fabric was stretched beyond redemption and left you so traumatized you never sewed another garment? Thank heavens for my mother from whom I learned my efficient but imperfect way of sewing! froggyintexas
froggyintexas:

maybe this video will help you see the advantage of the scant 1/4" seam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBoLPslLxTs

I like things finished, too, but I like them to be the best I can make them.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
There should only be 7 marks in between the inch marks, what you write here is correct, the earlier statement that there are 8 marks between the inch marks would be incorrect.. The 1 inch mark for instance is eight-eighths; the 2 inch is sixteen-eighths.
Thank you Skittl for getting what I meant.
Expressing ideas can be sometimes confusing for those to whom English is not first language.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Banned

Explain the basic and then the shortcut, otherwise the student will never know how he/she got to the shortcut.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:12 AM

I just did a table runner that called for 4-5/8" block. I found that my cutting mat did not have 1/8th measurements. I used a regular ruler but the spacing was very small & I had much difficulty cutting the squares. I'll square up next time but I wish patterns would just give us measurements in 1/4" sizes.

Marilee