Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How often do you have a Quilt Show in your guild? >

How often do you have a Quilt Show in your guild?

How often do you have a Quilt Show in your guild?

Old 11-02-2013, 08:27 AM

Our guild is 29 years old and over 200 strong. We put on one show per year, it is open to non guild members for a fee of $5 per quilt. Members do not pay a fee to enter quilts. This year we had close to 500 quilts entered. Between the admission fee, raffle quilt, quilters boutique, and silent auction. we covered all cost for the show, and made enough to cover all our expenses for next year, this includes buying batting and backing for charity quilts, renting our meeting hall, educational events, and other small expenses. Everyone helps from the teenage girls who come in to help set up and take down, to our 80 plus year old members who do silent demo's during the show. Our show is always the first weekend in October, our meetings are the last Wed of each month. At the Oct. meeting we get committee reports and start making plans for next years show. We work on our show all year long. It is a lot of work but we all have a good time. Every member is encouraged to enter at least one quilt.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:13 AM

I currently belong to 3 quilt groups/guilds. The state guild puts on a yearly quilt show. However there is also another state guild for Southern AZ [I don't belong to that one] that also puts on a yearly quilt show.

My local, not state affiliated guild has just started putting on shows every 2 years, our second one will be 2014.

The faith based group does not have a quilt show but has a distribution nights. The Saturday before the actual worship area is decorated with many of the quilts, so that they are up for the Sunday services. Then the distribution night is on that Tuesday. This is where the quilts are given out to the various groups that receive the donations.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:19 PM

The guild in Rapid City puts on a quilt show every year in the spring. In the early fall there is another quilt show put on in Hill City every year, and at some point Custer also has a show every year.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:42 PM

We do every 3 years. It is just too much work to do more often. And this way, there are enough quilts.

It is a church pew show, so it somewhat demands traditional bed quilts. There are only a few places to hang small quilts or art quilts that do not drape. (That kept me from entering last year)
Old 11-02-2013, 03:05 PM

The Guild I belong to here in San Antonio has a show in the odd years and an auction in the even years. There are 250+ members. Very active guild with tons of things to interest just about everyone.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:08 PM

We have a guild of 130 members and have a show every three years. Our latest show was two weeks ago and we had 400 quilted items displayed, 163 were large bed quilts. We had over 1000 admissions over two days, a quilter's boutique, quilt appraiser, demos, Northcott challenge, 15 vendors, lunch room and mini draws. We start planning for our next show as soon as the present one is over. Our thoughts are that we wouldn't have enough large quilts to display if we tried to hold it every year and that our membership couldn't handle it either as a good show is a lot of work.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

I was just speaking to the truckee meadows guild president this morning and they are going to a two year plan begining now. So our next one won't be until 2015. There is a few here in northern Nevada and I believe they are going to have one in carson city on the off years to ours.
It is kind of sad though, I really enjoy the fall show each year as part of my routine. I guess that is progress.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:50 PM

Funny you should ask. I'm just now trying to recover from our show today. Our group of about 30 have done 2 shows 2 years apart. I'm sure we couldn't manage every year. We do it in conjunction with a church who hosts a craft/vendor show at the same time. We charge no admission and hosted about 500 visitors today.
this is a picture from the last show. Haven't downloaded the pictures from today. This is about 1/2 the quilts. Filled the church pews on both sides.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	444573  
Old 11-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

our guild has one every other year!!!!
Old 11-02-2013, 05:36 PM

I belong to three in my area, which is in outlying counties, aka country..
We do one every other year and then the others do theirs the same.
Bu when we do it, we do it big.....And we always have money for Quilters Like Bonnie Hunter and Debbie Maddy etc to come give classes.
In a way I am glad so I to go to other quilt shows around Texas and Oklahoma too.