Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions needed for Quilt pattern >

Suggestions needed for Quilt pattern

Suggestions needed for Quilt pattern

Old 11-09-2013, 06:25 AM

How about a carpenter's star? I pieced a smaller one together the other day in ~5 hours! Add white and you're all good.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by orangeroom View Post
How about a carpenter's star? I pieced a smaller one together the other day in ~5 hours! Add white and you're all good.
I was going to suggest this partern too! Use as a symbol of all things i life make a complete cycle / circle of friends / etc. Or you could do a quilt with 'links' in it - since we are all linked to each other in some fashion. Something like http://www.pinkchalkfabrics.com/inde...oducts_id=9631

Have fun picking your pattern and fabrics and please show us what you come up with!
Old 11-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

Cool

I like Dina's quilt but if your a new quilter, that is making a lot of small pieced units. I did a variation of the pattern just by sewing two strips together and the placement has the look of steps. This is very simple quilt. You could use the same colors as in Dina quilt. I do a lot of charity quilts so I work with simple patterns but I want them to look sharp. Good Luck !!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Step Right Up Blocks.JPG
Views:	688
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	445868  
Old 11-10-2013, 04:12 AM

We have hosted several exchange students. I made them quilts to take home. My first gril like green and pink. I made a log cabin block quilt in the two colors. I also had some fabric that was printed US Flag I put on the back. My next students I made 9 patch quilts of their favorite colors or let them pick a pattern. One girl could not decide. I made her a quilt with the school colors here. (Black and Orange) with the school initials appliqued. She love the quilt too. I hope this will give you some ideas. Sky blue and orange in different shades as a log cabin would be a really neat quilt. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:13 AM

pretty quilt manicquilter 2 looks easy but sharp
Old 11-10-2013, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Dina's pretty quilt is a great idea.
But I also urge you to think about using more than one orange and one blue in the quilt you make. The two colors come in many values, using several fabrics/prints in each color will make the quilt have textural interest when you use a quick simple pattern.
I agree. Blue and orange and actually pretty together. Use plenty of different ones and it will be all the more interesting!
Old 11-10-2013, 05:46 AM

Blue and Orange are the Gators colors
Old 11-10-2013, 05:56 AM

Smile

My son also wanted these colors because they were the colors of his AAU baseball team. I thought how awful but I had found a comforter (no time for sewing then) with them and it was pretty. The comforter has since been ruined by the dry cleaners, but I still have the pillows. I ended up liking the colors together so much that I would like to keep them in a quest bedroom and make a quilt some day for it. Here is a picture of the pillows. One has a bit of green ... I would omit that. I sent the picture so you could see how nice the colors look together.

Name:	001c.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	446089  
Old 11-10-2013, 06:30 AM

This quilt doesn't require much in the way of measured accurate cutting. The colored blocks are stacked and cut all at the same time in any measurement you want. When all the blocks are re-sewn they are trimmed down. It's VERY EASY. I can easily picture this quilt with either blue blocks on an orange background, or visa versa.

Also easy to make a different size ... just make more blocks.

Below is the link and I've included a picture of one that I made.

http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransso...uilt.html#more

Name:	Front resized.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	446104  
Old 11-10-2013, 09:50 AM

Head to your LQS and find a fabric that has the colors you are seeking, and use that to select colors for your quilt. That is how I find color combos that 'work' together. You don't have to use the first fabric, (in case it is a floral or just not right) just use it to select colors to use.