Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads >

Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads

Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads

Old 11-14-2013, 09:46 AM

Cecilia, I use old white T-shirts. Yes to the first question. Let dry for a couple of hours and then wipe down with naptha, this will remove the excess linseed oil. Then start the french polish and this can be done the same day. you can French polish the entire machine a couple of times with about 30 minutes wait between. Wait a day and do it again. You can do this as many times as needed to give a nice even piano finish shine to it. Yes you will need patience this is not a fast process. I have been know to spend a couple of weeks getting a nice finish. It all de[pends on how bad the finish is on the machine. Did you ever post a pic of the machine. I would like to see it again so I can advise accordingly. You are most welcome.
Skip
Old 11-14-2013, 12:30 PM

Glenn,

I started a separate thread to show my project-in-progress; I don't want to hijack this thread of yours! My new thread is:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post6404733
Old 11-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Banned

Mr. Glenn,

I have read this entire thread, and will be trying your method out I have searched and searched and haven't found the tut on restoring the cabinets. ALSO, I have a Pink Atlas that has some paint chipped outta her, what color aniline dye to you recommend for her? oh, and THANKS so much for taking the time to do all this, the tutorials and the question answering is most appreciated by us newbies or in my case...Old Brain Syndrome LOL

I have sewn the better part of my almost 50 years, but have just recently gotten the vintage machine bug, and now want to do all things restore, repair, refinish, revamp, revitalize, and yes, when necessary repaint. ALL the re words! I have a 66-16 that I rescued from a scrap metal heap and it is pretty shot, decals gone, bit beat up, rusted, just bad. So, it will be my learn to paint a machine guinea pig. Have a couple of old motors to learn how to do the re-wiring. Have a 15, that I am SURE will benefit from your tutorial , and several others, that I believe just need a good old polishing. I'm like you, I'd rather keep em' in their all natural state if possible, cause, well, they earned every ding and chip...just like me! Thanks again.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:57 AM

Teena,

Your pink Atlas is no good anymore; you should just mail it to me.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:34 AM

Teena, I am sorry but you can't use aniline dye on the pink machine because it is enamal paint. You can get some paint in small bottles made by testors for model makers. You may find one that will match or mix colors to match.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

Where is a good place to buy Tester's Paint?
Old 12-01-2013, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Where is a good place to buy Tester's Paint?
Hobby Lobby etc. Walmart may carry it in the toy department where the model cars and such are.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Banned

Thanks Glenn! Didn't even Think about it actually being paint...see there's that old brain syndrome! lol But, you missed my first question...where is the tutorial on restoring the cabinets? I have searched and searched and can't find it! Took me Forever to find the Muv video...:/

And Cecilla, sorry chick, no can have! lol She's one of my great thrift store finds! $14.00!!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-29-2018 at 02:34 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 12-01-2013, 09:40 PM

Here ya go Teena,
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ight=restoring
Old 12-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Banned

Thank you crocee! I will bookmark this for sure!