Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
would you put this on wheels (ironing surface) >

would you put this on wheels (ironing surface)

would you put this on wheels (ironing surface)

Old 11-15-2013, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gale View Post
OMG. I went to Home Depot tonight to look at the casters. There must have been 3 dozen different ones. So now I have to figure out what kind to get. Locking, I know. And some say they're only for concrete so those are out.
For ease of use, you want the shepherd type castors.
They will cost you more, but you will never regret it.

Also, be sure you get ones that are large enough for the size of the cabinet they will carry, as well as the overall weight when stuffed full! Better to oversize!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:57 AM

I did a search and it looks like Shepherd is a brand that makes several types of casters. I also need to find out if one caster says it's good for 100 lbs, does that mean 4 would hold 400 lbs?
Old 11-15-2013, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

Didn't realize it was a brand .... perhaps they were the first ones to develop the type I am thinking about?
The ones with the balls on the bottom, that let you go any direction, easily.
They roll so smooth and easy.

The other type will have wheels on the bottom ... and the larger ones are often black rubber.
No matter the size, they just go the direction the wheel is facing, and you can't shimmy it around easily.

I went with the wheel type for an antique blanket box ... very soon, I was back buying the ball type. Learned my lesson, so now, I don't even look at the others!

The weights ... not sure ... and I would be careful on who I "believed" on that!
Old 11-15-2013, 08:39 AM

I have no idea what the weight will even be. A lot? LOL. My sewing table has wheels but they swivel so it's pretty easy to move. I'll look for the ball ones but I don't think I saw any like that at Home Depot. I won't actually need to move it unless I need to clean or retrieve something from behind it so as long as I can get it away from the wall and back, I think I'm good. My cutting table, however, will need to move easily. Luckily it won't be as heavy (I don't think).
Old 11-15-2013, 08:52 AM

You would want to make sure that they support a lot of weight, so it won't be that 4 hold 400 lbs. I am going to use 3/4 inch plywood with 4 swivel locking casters on the bottom so I can move it anywhere. That way if I change my mid and want to rearrange my room I can do that all by myself. I bought one of the little 4 wheel dollys and did that with it. moves easy and is fairly stable, holding the heavy duty sterlite storage drawers, 3 big ones on bottom and 4 smaller stacked on top of a board so it didn't cave the bottom one in.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:01 AM

This will be almost 60" across the long way, so I think I might go with 6 casters. It'll be tougher to move but since I don't have to move it a lot it shouldn't be a big deal.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:00 PM
yel

i think you could get by with 1/2 of them locking ....i have a machine on wheels and can't get to the back to lock them so i only lock the front ones ...works ok for me
Old 11-17-2013, 02:20 PM

ok, questions---first where did you get these? Second, could you let me know how tall and deep they are? Also what are they made of? Am looking for something like this to fit under a v shaped desk.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:37 PM

I'm going contrary to the general response.

No wheels on my ironing surface. Why? Because wheels move and if they move without me intending them to move and my iron is on the board, it may fall to the floor, or worse, on me!

I can always get a new iron and new floor, but I can't get a new me!

Having said all that, I would probably raise it up without using wheels and put a couple of furniture sliders under it. Then, when I need to clean behind it, I can make sure the iron is both off and moved off the top of the board, then move it.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:51 PM

I will use locking casters so it won't go anywhere. my sewing machine is on a table with wheels and it doesn't move on me if it's locked.

These are Jetmax cubes that I bought at Michaels a few years ago. They're made of fiberboard (??) and are about 14.5".