Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
NEW SWAP!  Disappearing Four Patch quilt blocks! >

NEW SWAP! Disappearing Four Patch quilt blocks!

NEW SWAP! Disappearing Four Patch quilt blocks!

Old 11-14-2013, 08:50 AM

Here is who we have so far:

madbury
lauriejo

cbridges22 (thinking, thinking. .. )
letsquilt ??
mom-6 ??
(and me, of course!)

Stitch124 - yes, of course! One set would be wonderful! I hope to add you to our list.

Mom-6 - - here are some examples of 30's reproduction fabrics:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]446795[/ATTACH]

Here is a resource I use frequently: http://www.quiltshops.com/index.html

Click on 'item search', enter 30's reproduction or feedsack then click on thumbnail and you'll get pages and pages of pictures. Hope that helps. If you have any other questions, please ask.

Jane
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MODA playtime 30's.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	446795  
Old 11-14-2013, 09:30 AM

I have 30s fabrics in my stash. I also have some fabric that I'm not sure of so I'm including a pic. That'll help me decide how many sets I'll do. I have some 30s fat quarters and one fat quarter would be a set but I would want to keep one because I like the fabric obviously!

anyway - would like your thoughts on these. The far left is actually feedsack so I think it ought to work?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]446800[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	446800  
Old 11-14-2013, 10:57 AM

Ok, I'm also really tempted here. I'm just recovering from knee replacement surgery and feel ready to do some sewing.. this might fit into my current abilities. Smiles. I would feel badly if I promised more than I can deliver, but I'm wondering what if I end up able to send extra sets? Is that allowed?
Also, in reviewing the pattern, I notice two things that bring up questions. First, you said use white. Is that mandatory or just preferable? On the instructions, she used a nice fabric that wasn't white and I really preferred that look. (not a big fan of lots of white in quilts) Second, she also mentioned the different looks one can get by changing how far the cuts are made from the center seam. Are we strictly sticking to the 1" or are variations allowed?
Thanks in advance for your reply, it will help me decide whether to join in. This will only be my second ever swap if I take the plunge.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:03 PM

I have been playing around with this today,think I will join and do 3 sets
Old 11-14-2013, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the pictures!
And thanks wildyard for asking a couple questions I had too.
Will be awaiting the answers.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:19 PM

Madbury - - -

In your pic, from left to right, I would say all but the second fabric (the teal w/ the gold flowers). Any of the other fabrics would be great.

wildyard - -

I'm so excited you're thinking about jumping in (but careful with that knee!) lol

I think it would be better to underestimate the number of sets than to OVERestimate. Worst case scenario - you might end up getting some of your own blocks back.

For the fabric color choices, please use either a white or a white tone-on-tone to make the four-patch. Please follow the cutting instructions in the link; 1 inch on either side of the center seam. In future swaps, we might mess around with the cutting instructions. For this one, let's keep it all the same. That way, our quilt blocks will all play well together.

We will definitely be using other themes and color combinations in future swaps. I am always happy to have ideas and suggestions as others have posted. Keep 'em coming gals!
Old 11-14-2013, 06:39 PM

Ok, I just counted and I have 28 5" squares. I think that would make a total of 16 - 8" blocks...= 2 sets of 6 blocks, plus a couple extra. Is that right?

Most of the 28 squares, there are 2 of each fabric design. Should the blocks be made so that they match or can the colored squares be different designs. I think there are either 2 or 4 squares that are onsies...i.e. only one of that design. In that case I could mix two on one block.

Please let me know what is the most esthetically acceptable for what everyone wants.

Thanks,
Julie

Last edited by Stitch124; 11-14-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:57 AM

Update on who we have so far:

madbury
lauriejo

cbridges22 (thinking, thinking. .. )
letsquilt - 3 sets
mom-6 ??
happylab - 4 sets
(and me, of course!)
Stitch124 - 2 sets

Stitch124 - good questions! Hhhhmmm, getting out the trusty calculator. If you set your 'onsies' aside for another project, you would have 24 five inch charm squares. 24/2 = 12/6 per set = 2 sets. Yeah!!!

Please take a look at the picture I posted as an example.

This is going to be so much fun!!! Can't wait to see all these great quilt blocks.

Jane
Old 11-15-2013, 03:05 PM

I have collected 30's for the past 2-3 years and have quite a bit. I have never seen a quilt consisting of the d4p. Could someone post where I can see one? I can do 6 sets easily but I need to understand exactly what you want. Okay, 1 set would consist of 6 d4p blocks, all the same. In return I would receive 6 d4p blocks, all different. Is this correct?
Old 11-15-2013, 03:47 PM

I too will watch. Don't have any 30's fab. Maybe in December?..