Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wood floors or carpet in your sewing room? >

Wood floors or carpet in your sewing room?

Wood floors or carpet in your sewing room?

Old 11-15-2013, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
I have a wood floor in my present sewing room. In my previous sewing room, I had carpet. To be honest, I like both. With the carpet, I was careful to not let threads fall on the floor as they were a pain to unwind from the vacuum cleaner. With the wood floor, I have to be careful that I don't drop scissors on it as they land straight up sticking in the floor. That damages both my floor and the scissors. I am just so happy to have a sewing room that I can live with any floor.
Good answer! 😃
Old 11-15-2013, 07:41 PM

A wood floor is so much easier to clean up, that would be my choice.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:51 PM

Before central heating, carpet was a good insulator and added to the warmth of a home during the cold seasons.

A beautiful area rug can also greatly enhance a rooms decor.

But - there really is no good reason (that I can think of) to have a carpet on your sewing room floor - unless your home is on a slab foundation. Then a carpet can make a real difference in how warm your feet stay on a cold day.

That's my situation. I've been thinking about going to Lowes or Home Depot to get an inexpensive piece of vinyl flooring to put over it! The reason I haven't done it is that it might create a falling hazard.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

One side of my cutting table has a carpet and the other a hard floor. Guess which side of the table I work on?

While carpeting can be a pain ... it is much softer and easier on your legs/feet when standing at the cutting table or while pressing.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:56 PM

Buy an old fashioned toilet cleaner brush and use that to rake up the threads. The brushes are extremely cheap - less than $2, and pick up lots of threads that the vacuum misses.

It also 'finds' pins that fell to the floor and somehow become invisible to me, the magnetic wand and the vacuum.

If you do this, it's a good idea to label it so that no one actually uses it to clean the toilet.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:55 AM

Years ago my sewing room had carpet. I'm a barefoot kinda gal which isn't good when you have pins in the carpet. Love my ceramic tile even though its cold in the winter, I've not had one pin in my foot since going to tile! So my vote would be for anything but carpet.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:21 AM

I have carpet in my sewing room because it started out as a bedroom, and when we built the house, carpet was the way to go then. After Christmas, we are (me) going to remove everything from the room, tear up carpet and put down laminate/wood flooring. There will be rugs(my sister is a hooker, rughooker that is!) beside the bed.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:51 AM

I have hardwood in my farmhouse sewing sanctuary. I did put an area rug under my sewing table and chair. It warms up the space, adds some fun color, it keeps my chair from rolling out from under me AND i put a piece of sticky velcro "loop" tape on the bottom on my foot control. That never moves and I love it! No more chasing the foot control! It really adheres to the area rug.

I also use a gel mat next to my cutting table. There are plenty if them in the marketplace at various sizes, colors and affordable prices. If you put a gel mat on a smooth surface, be careful not to trip on it. It will "move". Gel mats are kind to your legs! I also wear my Sketchers for more foot support since I am up and down a lot.

I like to be able to use a micro-fiber dust mop to quickly clean up the hardwood floor vs. vacuuming carpet. And i can get the dropped pins easier...safer.

sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 11-16-2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:57 AM

I have carpet, but I wish it was wood or laminate. I lose pins in the carpet and the little threads and fuzzies are harder to clean up.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

I just happen to have wood floors. They were here when we moved in. I hate rugs. I have a mat in front of my cutting table and ironing board. I can roll it up. As far as dropped pins, I have 2 magnets; a mechanics (long handled) and a smaller one. Extends to couple feet. microfiber dust mop for the thread lint.