Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
ELISABRAT's WINTER FROLIC TABLERUNNER/TABLE MAT SWAP!! SIGN UPS CLOSE OCT 10th >

ELISABRAT's WINTER FROLIC TABLERUNNER/TABLE MAT SWAP!! SIGN UPS CLOSE OCT 10th

ELISABRAT's WINTER FROLIC TABLERUNNER/TABLE MAT SWAP!! SIGN UPS CLOSE OCT 10th

Old 11-17-2013, 06:56 AM

So true Krazy, it always helps doesn't it?
Brat- I like a bit of you in my quilts always makes me smile and be in better spirits......what would I do without you??
Old 11-17-2013, 08:21 AM

I'm almost caught up on reading the threads I'm subscribed to - love the humor that you all share on the board.
Brat and jaba you are so blessed to have the kind of friendship you do - most folks don't have that - sorry Kif - I am Hallmark today after watching feel good movies last night. Brian's sister had pancreatic cancer and fought a good battle for four and a half years and she taught us that there is hope in every day and life is to be celebrated and not taken for granted. I personally love taking Beasley out right before daybreak and watch the morning sky - I don't have the best view but I can see the colors and what a great way to start the day.

It's a sewing day for me - using my old machine and waiting for black Friday - going to get myself a new toy; now to just decide which toy I want. I'm looking at the Bernina 820 or the Janome 8900 - need to sew on both of them (thank goodness the dealers are only 10 miles apart so I don't have to do a lot of driving to test drive a machine) hoping to use the Bernina at a class next Saturday and I'm trying to set up a Thursday night test with the Janome; do any of you use either of these machines?
Old 11-17-2013, 07:16 PM

Other than stitching slowly, does anyone have any tips for stitching with metallic thread? I've been trying all week to put a decorative stitch on the border of a runner and I can't tell you how much I've ripped out to only get half way around that looks right. My New machine keeps pulling the metallic thread to the underside and bunching it up there.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/f85589xpaemgqka/K4mfpDE5NM
Old 11-17-2013, 08:31 PM

DM....I have not done much sewing with metallic thread but I do know that I had tons of trouble. One thing that did help me was to buy some needles made especially for sewing with metallic thread. Somehow they seem to have some kind of different eye and that helps the thread not get so tangled. If the store you bought machine from isn't too far away, I would take it and the thread there and ask them to show you what is going worng.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:54 PM

My best friend owned a quilt shop & I use to spend alot of time there. I decided to use same metallic thread one day and was having lots of problems, too. The first thing she said was "did you change the needle?!". No more problems for me. Go figure!!
Old 11-17-2013, 09:32 PM

Ladies, the best thing to do to work with metallic thread is to get you some Metallic Needles.. It says Metallic at the top of the package. They are made with a larger hole and groove and makes all the difference in the world. Also, make sure you have the same thread in the bobbin.. Hope you'll try it..

Jean
Old 11-17-2013, 09:47 PM

I just got new needles because this is the first time I'm sewing with metallic thread on this new machine. The metallic embroidery worked just fine on 1/2 speed, but this other is giving me fits! I got new needles, the ones that are supposed to be best for this, but it's still messing up.

Edit: OMG, do you have to use the same thread in the bobbin? I want red on the back, not metallic.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:04 PM

Yes both need to be the same.. ;o) Get a 'metallic' in red, and whatever color on top...just so both are metallic threads..
Old 11-17-2013, 11:00 PM

I did a lot of sewing with metallic thread on Brat's quilt that I am mailing out this week. I used regular sulky in the bobbin, sulky metallic on top. I also had read to use some Sewer's Aid, just a bit, on the thread, needle, etc, so I bought some. I always keep a Bobbin Genie in, and lastly I used Klasse' metallic needle. Went a lil slower with the stitching, and it was so much better than the last time I used metallic! Also if you have one, using a thread stand is supposed to help, as it gives more room for the thread to unkink prior to getting to the needle eye.
Take care,
Kif
Old 11-17-2013, 11:13 PM

Here are a few sites to check out for more info on using metallic threads:
http://www.sulky.com/faqs/faq_001.php
http://www.amazon.com/Tacony-Corpora...+sewing+needle
http://www.amazon.com/Collins-W-21-A...rds=sewers+aid
http://www.quiltingdaily.com/blogs/q...abric-art.aspx