Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
would you put this on wheels (ironing surface) >

would you put this on wheels (ironing surface)

would you put this on wheels (ironing surface)

Old 11-18-2013, 02:00 PM

Remember that when you are ironing yardage, it's 45" wide. You will also need at least 6" at the end to place the iron. My home-made big board is 24" x 60". To save money, I bought 3/4" plywood that was good on one side, not both. I saw somewhere something similar to what you are planning, but they mounted them onto a plywood base with a space in the middle. They anchored the units to the base with L-brackets on both sides of the units. She had storage baskets in the space or you could put shelves between the units that are at both ends. I thought this was the neatest idea. The whole thing was on wheels & the ironing surface on top. I would use the L-brackets to anchor the top, too.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:21 PM

I found the picture - just a few threads away! Here is the link. This is such a neat idea for storage & a multiple use item.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/mission...e-t232092.html
Old 11-18-2013, 02:24 PM

Since I'm getting a new countertop to use as a desk, I can use my old desktop (which is 3/4" plywood) for the ironing board. It'll be about 64" long by about 20" wide (it will overhang the cubes by about 3" all around). DH has 2 x 4 wood that I can use so I should only have to buy the casters and any brackets that I'll need.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts View Post
I found the picture - just a few threads away! Here is the link. This is such a neat idea for storage & a multiple use item.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/mission...e-t232092.html
thanks for the link to the pictures. That looks very efficient!!
Old 11-19-2013, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by SHELTIE'SMAMA View Post
I have my freezer on bricks to raise it to cutting height and it is a pain when something goes over the back. As careful as I try to be it still happens. Planning on getting it on casters.
If you have a old sheet or blanket, put it behind on the floor coming out to where you can reach it. when something fall down behind, you just pull the sheet out with what dropped. easy
Old 11-22-2013, 01:37 PM

I would put them on locking wheels, however the ironing space I would do as collapsable board so it would have a gap between wall and the ironing top. Let me know what solution you will go with. Good luck.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

Using the baskets on the shelf is a very good idea. I don't think anything will get lost in the corners if the baskets are not overflowing.
Always amazes me how and what others come up with to make things better for themselves.
I have a long handled swiffer duster that fits in skinny spaces. You maybe able to use one to retrieve things that fall behind that row of cabinets.