Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
$200 for Featherweight? Good price or Not? >

$200 for Featherweight? Good price or Not?

$200 for Featherweight? Good price or Not?

Old 11-19-2013, 04:26 AM

Default $200 for Featherweight? Good price or Not?

My Guild had a Jumble sale last night and a fellow quilter was selling two featherweights. Both sew and have been well loved. One was duller with fading decals one was shinier with brighter decals. I missed the model numbers. There were cases with both though they were also well loved. Is that a good price or too much? Sorry I didn't get photos, that would tell alot. If so, which would you buy, she still has them. She also has a zig zag attachment that works on both, for $35.

Last edited by toverly; 11-19-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:44 AM

My opinion...the price on any vintage (or new for that matter) machine is what you are willing to pay for it. I don't pay alot for vintage machines. My FW I paid $45; my electrified Redeye 66 I paid $50. That one is a little rough but well worth the $50. I have a 15 that I paid $35. While I think the FW is a great machine, I would not be willing to pay that much...but that's me. If it fits your budget; you like it; that's the going rate in your area...go for it!
Old 11-19-2013, 04:53 AM

Look at it this way: If you get a good machine with all parts intact and working order, it will outlast you. There's a wealth of information on this site on do it yourself service, repairs, and sources for replacement parts and attachments. I have never bought a vintage machine at those rock bottom prices that I've often read about. I have been had honest people I've purchased from & felt the craftsmanship of every old machine I've bought was well worth the $ spent. Is the guild sale a benefit for the group, or are the individuals the sellers. What I mean to ask is, "Is this a fundraiser for the group?" That also plays into what people are expected to pay.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:54 AM

If it is in excellent condition, recently (or continuously) serviced and well cared for, I don't think that is an unreasonable price, if you are willing to pay it.

I paid more for mine, which had been refurbished and is serving me well as my primary machine.

However if it were going to require servicing and possible refurbish, that would be way more than I would want to pay.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:02 AM

Thanks for the quick replies. Y'all echoed what I was thinking inside. The machines though work, do show wear and chips of at one time having a hard life. I would want to get them refurbished. So it is too much for me. I would pay that price if they looked newer.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:05 AM

The going rate seems to be $200 or more for them. At $200 I would find one in better condition with a good case and decals and maybe a few accessories thrown in. $35 is more than I would pay for the zigzag attachment. As far as I know any low shank attachments will fit those machines and zigzaggers can be had for much less.
Rodney
Old 11-19-2013, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

Here that would be a good price.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

Down here that would be a good price even for a non-working missing parts ugly condition machine. I still wouldn't buy it because so many will not let you test it to see if it would at least turn on or run. I carry a Ziploc with swatch of material to test. One antique/rummage (more rummage than antique) dealer had a machine (electric) for sale for $400.00. Didn't have the cord, manual and no attachments. Smelled like moth balls. Also no bobbin case. He had chains attached so no one would walk away with it. Mind you this was not even in a cabinet!
Old 11-20-2013, 04:21 AM

I paid $325.00 for mine but, I had been looking for one a long time so I was motivated when I saw this one. Mine has all of the original decals in place, all of the attachments and the original box. It does have one scratch on it that is noticeable and I wanted the scroll rather than the geometric design on the end. So I was being very picky.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:39 AM

Default featherweight

Just make sure it's a "real" vintage machine...Not a "want -a-be"...They look alike, so check the serial number before giving a big price for it....