Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Small Scraps >

Small Scraps

Small Scraps

Old 11-20-2013, 03:15 PM

I cut as small as 1 1/2" for postage stamps. I like the idea of the calculator tape. Might have to try that. I really think you have to love scrappy quilts to see the value in the smaller pieces. JMHO.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:23 PM

I give my scraps to others and don't feel guilty about it. I have 16-20 drawers of fabric so just can't see working with little tiny scraps at this point. Others do and love it -- we all march to our own drummer.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:25 PM

Paper piecing and applique.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

I keep some small stuff to use as the strat and stop when piecing. It saves on thread and you never have to worry about your top thread getting mess around your bobbin.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:49 PM

You'd be surprised at the size of scraps I save lol....anything large enough for a needle to sew through! I love to paper piece, and while some scraps may even be too small for my favorite 2" finished PP squares, a small scrap can be just perfect for a "crazy quilt square"....use muslin for foundation and just start sewing those scraps together until you get the block size you want. Nothing goes to waste!

Christine
Cedar Valley Quilts
www.cedarvalleyquilts.com
Old 11-21-2013, 04:39 AM

I just made a scrappy log cabin using 1/4 inch quad graph paper. Now I'm hooked. I tried to not keep a scrap smaller than 2 x 2. There were just too many triangle scraps. I am trying one out of 5 inches per inch graph paper next. It works great since I have "packed" up my sewing room for Thanksgiving Guests and only have a small table to sew on till after the holiday.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]447943[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownload.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	447943  
Old 11-21-2013, 05:55 AM

Oh, my - this is AMAZING and so pretty.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:06 AM

I,too, am guilty of keeping every little piece. When we cleaned out my mom's house, I kept all of hers as well (I have sewn for over 50 years. OK - craziness at its max) I have made some wall hangings and other scrappy projects using fabrics Mom had made clothing from as well as those I had sewed with. It was such fun to reminisce with these fabrics and it makes me smile when I look at these projects.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:43 AM
DJ

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
Some folks keep them all. The really small scraps can be used as stuffing for pet beds. If 1.5 inches or wider, keep for string quilts. Yes, there are some QB members willing to pay S&H to "take them off your hands".

Anita
I have an "if-it-fits-it-ships" box next to my waste basket where I cut fabric. I either throw tiny scraps in the waste basket, or if usable (but not by me), I put them in the box. When it's full, I offer it for the price of S&H on this forum.

Seeing some of the beauties on this thread, I might have to keep them. LOL
Old 11-21-2013, 06:43 AM

I am saving strings for this quilt. It is all string pieced and the more scraps the better! Right now I'm not being picky..but I do save 2 and 2 1/2 inch strips for projects. Anything wonky goes in this bin.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Folded%20Fans%20framed.jpg
Views:	994
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	447954