Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I see all my imperfections >

I see all my imperfections

I see all my imperfections

Old 11-25-2013, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

I agree with what everyone has stated on this thread. Free motion quilting is like riding a bike. Start with something simple. A lady who was a pioneer in machine quilting, Harriet Hargrave told me something that really helped me. She told me NOT to look at the needle but look to the area to where you want to go. You need to look to where you will be going, not at where you are. I HOPE this helps you as it did me. Hang in there and practice, practice and practice. Make dog quilts for the local animal shelter or make charity quilts. Best of Luck to you !!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:36 AM

I was recently looking back on my first quilt. It took me 3 years to finish and had problems at each step of the way. I had piecing issues, layout issues, and first quilt I ever FMQ'd - a king-size quilt on my domestic machine. DEFINITELY had FMQ issues.

I remembered it as having SO MANY problems. Looking at it last weekend...I was having a hard time spotting all the problems that I KNOW are there. Eventually I found them, but I had to really look for them!

So yes...forgive the small mistakes. It was a good lesson for me!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

You are being to hard on yourself. Relax and have fun!
Old 11-25-2013, 08:08 AM

I have a little rule...some other quilter wants to look at my quilt? OK! First remove glasses,stand 20feet away,you have 20seconds. I don't think folks look at the points when they wrap a quilt around themselves.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:53 AM

Thank you all so very much for all the encouraging words......I will take your advice.....if I can only quit trying to go over the speed limit when my hands aren't wanting to go that fast or vice versus.....HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A VERY BLESSED THANKSGIVING......
Old 11-25-2013, 09:14 AM

Oh you are being way too hard! If all you have to worry about is inconsistent stitch length you are going GREAT!!! FMQ is not easy on DSM. Pat yourself on the back and get ready for the next one!
Old 11-25-2013, 10:11 AM

I find it difficult too. I think it's like anything else practice makes perfect. We won't do better until we just do it and be happy with the outcome and then we'll get better and better at it.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:22 AM

The sad thing is that we are our hardest critics. We see every imperfection, even when no one else does. My friends and I have a catch phrase that we say whenever we hear someone criticizing their own work -- "galloping horse." As in, can it be seen if you ride by it on a galloping horse? If the answer is no, then don't worry about it. Chances are, if you don't point out the mistakes, the recipient will be so thrilled she's getting a quilt, she'll never notice.

When you watch someone FMQ on a YouTube, a tutorial, or during a class, it looks so easy. You say to yourself, Self, I can do that. Then you sit down at the machine and it's nowhere as easy as it looks. But as you practice, practice, practice, your stitches will become more consistent.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:16 PM

My FMQ'ing is very uniquely creative. Not particularly consistent, but obviously done by me, not a professional. I have a regular machine. Relax and enjoy the creative process. Revel in the unique personal touch you impart to your quilts.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

I have made many quilts and FMQed most of them. Mine are still not perfect. I have given up that thought, I still try. If all is going well and stitches look perfect then the quilt gets hung up on the extension table or something else happens. My excuse is when they can create a machine to do this on its own I may be perfect.
The main thing is to relax, if you are up tight it will show in your stitches. I only give my quilts to people that don't even know how to sew. How would they know what perfect stitches are?
We are our worst critics and enemies.
Washing and drying a quilt hides a multitude of mistakes. I love to make quilts and keep trying for a perfect one. I don't think it is possible.