• General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Who's cooking Thursday?.....NOT I. :P >
  • Who's cooking Thursday?.....NOT I. :P

• Who's cooking Thursday?.....NOT I. :P

Old 11-27-2013, 04:11 AM
    Power Poster

happy Thanksgiving to all
    Old 11-27-2013, 04:16 AM

I called my son to invite him to Thanksgiving dinner and he said "I will do it" So all's I have to do is pies and sweet potatoes. He is single and has made us Thanksgiving dinner the last 2 years!!
    Old 11-27-2013, 04:30 AM

Not me! Never have. DDs and their families are going to in-laws. I'm going to my neighbors. They're a fun bunch; 5 sons, their spouses and one grandson. No idea who will be there when. Several have to work and as of last week Karen didn't know when they were working. Yay, this is the first time in 16 or 17 years I haven't had to work on Thanksgiving. I'm making a loaf of bread to bring. And no, I'm not going shopping afterwards or on Black Friday.
    Old 11-27-2013, 04:44 AM

My family and I are at odds because of a family situation that I have decided to take control of. I spend hours a day on the phone with doctors, social workers etc. I am tired of the drama the family causes. Above all of this, I am expected to jump in the car and drive an hour to sit there and then be scrutinized for my choices. So husband and I decided to start another family tradition...we invited two couples who have no family to share this holiday with. The gals have divided up the meal, I am doing the turkey/dressing, the sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce. The other two gals are doing the potatoes, beans,appetizers, treats, bread and desert. Guys are in charge of the refreshments. I embroidered special aprons for the two gals, each with designs that reflect their personalities. I even monogrammed new dinner napkins. I am using one set of my finest china, antique flatware and silver. I am so looking forward to Thanksgiving. I will miss seeing my parents and will stop by today to make sure they don't need anything, mom is ok with what I am doing this year. I will not miss the drama, and I will not allow them to make me feel bad for making this decision.
    Old 11-27-2013, 05:24 AM

I love Thanksgiving and cooking the meal and hosting. But funny how life happens to alter those plans. My son and his wife are bothe working(in the health field), so we are babysitting the DGDs while they work and will have a family celebration on Saturday at their house. I'm recovering from foot surgery, and am glad/sad about surrendering the hosting, but want to allow them to establish their own traditions, too. I guess I need to remember it's about being thankful and family, no matter the date on the calendar.
    Old 11-27-2013, 05:36 AM

I'm cooking :-)
    8 out of my 10 children can make it. And my in-laws for a total of 18 adults and 4 wonderful grandchildren :-D
    Can. Not. Wait!
    Old 11-27-2013, 05:41 AM

I wish I was cooking , I will be leaving for work at 6 pm so I will sleep the day away so I wont be too impatient at work with all the patients I will encounter
    Old 11-27-2013, 08:19 AM
    Power Poster

We are flying out tomorrow and having our dinner on Friday with the WA State branch of the family. I make the turkey and mashed potatoes (someone else peels) and daughter in law does the rest. Her sister might bring a veggie.
    Old 11-27-2013, 09:34 AM
    Power Poster

we had plans for dinner out, then our favorite holiday restaurant closed so now i'm brining the turkey, just me dh and ds. have a happy all
    Old 11-27-2013, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bneighbor
    My family and I are at odds because of a family situation that I have decided to take control of. I spend hours a day on the phone with doctors, social workers etc. I am tired of the drama the family causes. Above all of this, I am expected to jump in the car and drive an hour to sit there and then be scrutinized for my choices. So husband and I decided to start another family tradition...we invited two couples who have no family to share this holiday with. The gals have divided up the meal, I am doing the turkey/dressing, the sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce. The other two gals are doing the potatoes, beans,appetizers, treats, bread and desert. Guys are in charge of the refreshments. I embroidered special aprons for the two gals, each with designs that reflect their personalities. I even monogrammed new dinner napkins. I am using one set of my finest china, antique flatware and silver. I am so looking forward to Thanksgiving. I will miss seeing my parents and will stop by today to make sure they don't need anything, mom is ok with what I am doing this year. I will not miss the drama, and I will not allow them to make me feel bad for making this decision.
    Sounds like a wonderful time, dinner with people who just want to be with you. And no strings attached.