Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Antique HST from auction >

Antique HST from auction

Antique HST from auction

Old 11-26-2013, 04:42 PM

Your picture is not close up enough to see the individual fabrics for me, but I think you could get a good idea of the age of the fabrics from members of a quilt guild (those who have an interest and experience in vintage fabrics, as well as having the published books for research). The cost of an actual appraisal might use up too much of your potential profit.

Before you start quilting it, examine it closely for open seams, stains, etc., as well as quality of fabric (sturdy, colorfast?) Also look closely at how flat the whole top is. If it won't lay flat, it will present challenges for a machine quilter, but might be able to be eased in during hand quilting or tying. People did tie quilts of this type sometimes, so that might be a quicker cheaper option to turn a profit.

Vintage tops less than 100 years old are not rare. Condition and style has a lot to do with resale value. We learned recently at a presentation by a quilt appraiser at a local event that common quilt patterns do not command a premium.

The potential buyers need to be people who are interested in the charm of a vintage quilt.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:12 PM

I love the quilt. Please keep it in one piece. Is there someone, maybe a church group or another guild who would hand quilt it? Maybe the investment in that would add value to it. Only a really good appraiser could tell you that. I always think a raffle earns more money but I don't know if that is true. I hope your group values this quilt highly and gets what's its worth for your ministry. Wish I as rich!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:05 PM

Since your group is vested in prayer, I know you will confront and solve this problem with your best corporate prayer efforts. The suggestions here are wonderful and worthy of consideration. I personally agree that this top shouldn't be cut but I also think you should go where you are lead. Usually the answer will be right in front of you. Good Luck and God Bless! Wherever it goes it will be a blessing to someone who needs just that blessing! Beautiful!
Old 11-26-2013, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by susiequilt View Post
Finish and raffle it off.
That was my first thought, then use the money for fabrics for the prayer quilts.
Maire
Old 11-26-2013, 07:58 PM

I don't think that these are authentic 30's prints - maybe reproductions. Also, I don't remember ever seeing that pattern in any of my old quilt books - I think it is a newer pattern/arrangement - but still may have used some older fabrics.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:00 PM

I sure wouldn't cut it at all. Someone put a lot of time and work in it and loved it. Please finish it or get someone to. Someone needs to make it a complete quilt so it can be proud.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
67X78 is NOT a big quilt. It's not even queen size. It may seem big to you because the pieces are so small and there are so many of them. Lay it on your bed and see how it fits. I would finish it off and then do whatever you like of what others have suggested.
Now I understand why you say it is too big; I didn't realize about the size of prayer quilts. And I also think your way of making it into two quilts would be awesome. You would have two quilts with the same pattern. I think I would take the seams apart and not cut anything (except thread).

Good luck!
Old 11-27-2013, 05:22 AM

Please think this through before taking action. There are horror stories about auctions -- beautiful bed size quilts that only brought in

Please think this through before taking any action. There have been some beautiful, valuable quilts that have sold at auction for $20 or $30. People who are not quilters have no idea of what it takes in money and hours to create a quilt. Could you consider a raffle? Lots of work for you ladies -- taking it places (craft shows, libraries, church activities, etc) and sell raffle tickets. Or have it appraised and see if appraiser knows what to do with it. You have a quite valuable quilt so take your time and ask lots of questions to knowledgable sources before making a decision.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:39 AM

It would be such a shame to cut it - finish it and raffle it off - I'm sure there would be a lot of interest as it's beautiful
Old 11-27-2013, 07:43 AM

Rather than cutting it up to make more than one throw, to be given to a person who may not especially value vintage fabrics, I think you'd be better off finishing the quilt, and raffling it to raise money for your charity to use to make more appropriate items for the patients. A vintage quilt or top is best kept by a person who values it as such and knows proper care and storage, imho.