Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cat proof pin cushion >

Cat proof pin cushion

Cat proof pin cushion

Old 11-27-2013, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

It sounds like a good solution to me. I'm just glad my TJ hasn't decided to play with my pins, although they are in a magnetic pin cushion.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jo C View Post
Heres my kitty proof pincushion that i made from these cute boxes and tray from Tuesday Morning. Just put the lid on and my baby is safe! (Heres hoping i know how to post a pic!)
I noticed fur baby checking it out. B sure she doesn't try to open the boxes. Mine do-heavy object on top. Fur babies are sneaky!! LOL
Old 11-27-2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by margied View Post
That's so much prettier than mine! My pin holder fits in one of those square plastic container - the plus side is my small scissor, seam ripper and alternate foot also fits in and it is ready for traveling also.
Not on the subject-but just had to say I love you fur baby. Beautiful
Old 11-27-2013, 11:14 AM

Great idea!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by DACO48 View Post
Yep, I had a cat swallow a needle once. My vet had a student interning for him and told me to try something; it worked my kitty didn't need surgery but a friends kitty wasn't so fortunate and required surgery.
What did he tell you to do?? I have kitties too, and would love to know a trick to try so that they might be ok. Thanks,Gina
Old 11-27-2013, 03:35 PM

While speaking of kitties - I had a wad of thread from a bobbin that was near empty but I needed, The cat woke me up during the night running around trailing a long string of thread. I cut it as there was no way to get it back - the vet said we would know within 48 hours if an operation was needed. Thankfully she managed to pass it all, Since then I cut all the thread into short pieces just in case the thought crosses her mind again - she did dig it out of the trash can by the sewing table. ( I also try to put similar stuff in the kitchen COVERED trash can!!) Those kitties are really curious!!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:03 PM

great idea
Old 11-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

Good idea. I've never had to worry about the animals and pin cushions. Though when our big dog was a pup he did eat my really expensive Japanese leather thimble.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
What did he tell you to do?? I have kitties too, and would love to know a trick to try so that they might be ok. Thanks,Gina
The vet intern told me to take pea-sized cotton balls and soak them them in chicken or beef broth and stick them far enough back into his throat so he would swallow them. I fed him over a period of a couple hours enough to be the size of an average cotton ball. (He did not like the cotton balls) Then I gave him a good doze of hair ball medicine. The vet said if we were lucky the little cotton balls would catch up with the needle and encase it. We were to watch for any indications of pain or unusual behavior. We shut him in the garage with his cat box and sure enough 3 days later he passed the cotton ball wrapped around the needle. He lived to be 19 years old. P.S. If you think looking for a needle in a haystack is bad, wait till you have to search the catbox................
Old 11-27-2013, 09:01 PM

here I thought I was the only one with a cat that liked to steal my pins. I watched her do it with me standing just a couple feet away. then I had to chase her down to take the pin away so she wouldn't hurt herself. I have to make sure to put everything away if I leave the room for any amount of time. lol.