Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What inspires you to start a new project? >

What inspires you to start a new project?

What inspires you to start a new project?

Old 11-26-2013, 02:42 AM

What drives me to quilting are the many beautiful colors and patterns and the fact that with the end results I can step back and say wow I did that. I am self taught and in the beginning was told that it was to hard to do and so that drove me even more to learn. I have been quilting for almost 20 years and am still learning all the time.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:13 AM

HouseDragon, I really like your avatar. I'm crazy for all the sight-hound breeds and I would love a Borzoi if they weren't so big. I was actually very close to getting a Silken Windhound a couple of years ago. I have whippets.

Sorry about the OT!
Old 11-27-2013, 04:26 AM

This is so funny - I just recently realized myself that it is the machines that I love - truly machine lust. There is something so soothing about hearing them run and I too love learning the techniques and understanding the capabilities of the machines. One of these days I will probably make something successfully (I hope) but I am enjoying have all the tools and capabilities! My father and brother are both engineers, so maybe there's an engineering gene in your family too -it must make us attracted to the machines!
Old 11-27-2013, 05:25 AM

I have several hobbies, too. I was a stampin' up demonstrator for 11 years, so that pretty well consumed me for that period of time. It was a great creative outlet. I've also sewn clothes for my children, made Raggedy Ann dolls (because that's what my g'ma did for me and my sisters when we were little) I crochet, knit (a little) and make fleece flowers for ponytail holders and hairclips. I enjoy home improvement projects- Nothing makes me happier than painting a room a new color. But quilting is something that I feel has a more lasting result than any of the other hobbies I've tried. A quilt can be cherished for generations... or loved so completely that it gets 'used up' in a few years. Either of these is fine with me. I tend to make baby quilts larger than most in colors that will carry a child into their elementary years. I was given so many baby quilts when my first DD was born that were barely bigger than the bassinet, and in such light colors that they really weren't practical for anything other than hanging on the wall.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:29 AM

I get inspired to "Get it done". When I was a teenager, I would cut out a dress or something and then sew until it was all in one piece. Then I could go to bed. The hand sewing I could save till tomorrow.

I also get inspired by making something that most people would toss into something that can be used. So I enjoy patching jeans! LOL I'm now patching jeans for the grandchildren. No, not those big holes they want to stay there, but lots of other places. My knee replacements for work jeans are a work of art.

I enjoy taking scraps (mine and others') and make something pretty. ---Bonnie Hunter's site.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:31 AM

My tendency is to become consumed by one thing at a time - I knit all the time, read and researched, went to fiber fairs - totally into that. Then I bought a weaving loom - and knitting took a back seat to that, then I started making soap, ask me anything about soapmaking. Now it's all about quilting. A fabric, a pattern, anything can inspire me. I still knit a little, I still soap a little, but that loom is in storage. I could easily buy fabric until my sewing room is overflowing with the stuff, but I'm so fickle am afraid one of these days I'll just move on to something else and have all of this stuff just taking up space.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:42 AM

Over the years I have had many many hobbies and always wanted to do more. In the wisdom that years of trying to do them all . I realized I can't do them all as well as I would like, nor do I have the $$ to invest in all the "stuff" each one involves. I have narrowed my scope of hobbies, to a few . Quilting /sewing will always be the largest consumer of my time, and $$$. Its the colors.. the infinite palet of fabrics , patterns and methods that have held my attention for the many decades. I find the most satisfaction in the world of textiles.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:41 AM

I have an addiction to quilt magazines. I don't buy them all; only if an issue has 2 or more patterns that I might someday make. I love looking at patterns, reworking the sizes to fit some idea that I have, and then searching out the right fabrics.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

My Mom taught me to embroider when I was 6, then a few years later taught me to make aprons (without a pattern), then box pleated skirts and in my Sophomore year of high school, I was finally able to take Home Ec., as for some dumb reason the principal didn't think Freshman girls were "evolved" enough for the class. My poor teacher once had to spend a couple of hours, "un-sewing" the zipper I put into a skirt, then patiently taught me to put in a zipper and thankfully the instructions stayed in my memory. I made all my own clothes for several years, but didn't start quilting until my kids were about 8 and 10 when I made them each quilts, then a king size one for our bed, all except the first quilt for my daughter were machine quilted. I took a couple classes, joined a quilt guild and the rest, as they say, is history. My sister pointed out that even though I had tried many other crafts, quilting was the one thing I kept going back to; although I did make clothes for my daughter for a short period of time, but she was fussy about what I made, even at the age of 6. She does recruit me to make quilts for her friends when they have babies, and now that we have a sweet DGD Zoe, who is 3 1/2, I have made her a twin size quilt, which I hope to sandwich and quilt in time to give it to her for Christmas. Keep your fingers crossed everyone.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:05 AM

I bead, garden, and a bookaholic-(or kindle now!!). I just bought, and am learning my new embroidery machine and love it. I like to sew and the feel of fabric. I have made clothes, drapes, curtains, pillows, etc-you get the idea. I am retired and at times I have a hard time trying to decide what to do first. Right now I am concentrating on the quilting and embroidery. LOL