Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ACCUQUILT opinions needed >

ACCUQUILT opinions needed

ACCUQUILT opinions needed

Old 11-30-2013, 06:27 AM

I have medical issues that complicate most everything....LOL.... I tried to use the AccuQuilt at my LQS and found it almost impossible. They are very hard to turn, especially if you are not standing over them, but sitting. I do cut with a mat and a rotary cutter on my dining room table, but long cuts, 24 inch rulers, etc do not work for me. For instance, I would not cut all the way across 22 inches of fabric, but I would fold it again to cut. I also use precuts. OR find a kind quilter friend who graciously assists me with the cutting. Best wishes!
Old 11-30-2013, 07:19 AM

Why don't you get together and make precuts for her in her choice of fabrics and colors? Since you already have a GO, it would save you both lots of money and give you quality time together.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:30 AM

I have the studio an it very easy unless you ry to put too many layers
Old 11-30-2013, 09:49 AM

I have the Studio cutter and it is pretty easy to turn as long as you don't load it down with fabric and I have also used the Go Cutter, but found that it was very hard to turn. You might think about helping her by cutting fabric for her if you are able.

Originally Posted by scrapnut View Post
Need some help from my quilt buddies. I have an elderly friend who is no longer able to move around a table to cut out sewing pieces. I have suggested that she purchase an Accuquilt so she can just sit at a table and crank out the quilt pieces. She will be able to sit at her sewing machine in her wheelchair. Our plan is to create quilts for local NICU in Oklahoma in honor of her daughter who passed away 10 years ago. Her daughter was a respiratory therapist at Children's Hospital and LOVED "her babies." Creating these quilts is something she really needs to do for herself.
In the last couple of years she has become weaker due to illnesses, so I'm wondering which of the three cutters would benefit her the most. I have the GO but I'm sort of leaning more toward the GO Baby for her. I'm sure it weighs less and will be easier for her to handle and operate. I would love to hear your opinions. She is a wonderful lady and I want to help her begin to craft again. As we all know sewing/crafter is WONDERFUL therapy.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:53 AM

Why not check with other quilters in your area. Some people love to cut and would be willing to cut pieces for her. In the past years I have cut for many who loved to sew but did not feel comfortable cutting or were not able to. If I were closed I would cut for your friend.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:55 AM

Get some of your quilting buddies together, go to your friend's house for a "cutting bee." You can cut kits for her at the same time you are becoming part of her healing project. And you get the fun of the fellowship. froggyintexas
Old 11-30-2013, 10:01 AM

Ditto! I have to stand to use mine also. If she is getting that weak that fast I would suggest someone help her and do the cutting for her. I think she would be able to crosscut a few pieces if she needs those done herself, but cutting that many strips or blocks are probably too much for her. jmho

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
I stand to use my Go---which I love. I would suggest cutting "kits" for her if at all possible.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:44 AM

Another option: is she able to use a computer? There is the new Brother Scan and cut. I'm not sure how well it works or your friend's budget, but it came out recently. Here's what it looks like: http://www.amazon.com/Brother-ScanNC.../dp/B00F3J38GQ.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
I hate to ask a really stupid question, but if she's weak, how is she going to turn the crank? I'm fairly strong adn that bloomin' think makes me grunt every time I turn the crank.
If she gets the new GO cutter with the picture of Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims on it, it won't be hard to turn. They have redone the ball bearings in that handle. I have a rotator cuff injury and I can use that one without pain. That is the cutter I would recommend for her, especially if she has a table where she can leave it set up and the table is the right height for her. It has plenty of available ties, more than the Go Baby. It is not as heavy as the Studio cutter, nor does it take up as much space. I can easily lift it with no trouble, and I have to be careful about lifting.

GrannieAnnie, try a drop of oil at the base of your handle.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
I agree with Bella, die cuts would be much easier. Cranking a die cuttter from a sitting position will be harder. JMO.
That could be true, unless the table is lowered. She could probably use a lowered table with a Go cutter from her wheelchair.