Turkey

Old 11-30-2013, 05:19 AM

I like to use the turkey as a substitute in a Chicken & Sausage Gumbo. You can use the turkey white meat as a substitute for crab meat in Seafood Gumbo.

The white meat can be used for Fajitas. Soak it just like you would the raw chicken, and then cook as directed o the marinade package.

I find it's much harder to use the dark meat. Soups and Stews are about the only way we like the turkey. I am loving seeing these other ideas from QB. It's amazing how much depth this board has. There is always someone who can give you a tip no matter what the question. Maybe it's all the years of experience! Me too...been cooking a long, long, long time.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:58 AM

Yuck to the jalapeņo pepper thing, hurray to the noodles, Campbell's soup stuff.....what did we do before Campbell soup recipes?
Old 11-30-2013, 06:53 AM

Jan, you have the best recipes. I am definitely coming over. What do you want me to bring?
Old 11-30-2013, 07:07 AM
DJ

Turkle Burgles

Split and broil some buns, rolls, ciabata, whatever to toast
Top with turkey, bacon and cheese. Broil to melt cheese. Add Thousand Island dressing.

Yummy!
Old 11-30-2013, 10:33 AM

I envy everybody. By the time we have dinner and a snack after black Friday shopping we don't have any leftovers. I always buy the largest turkey I can find. We always have a lot of people for Thanksgiving dinner.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
Jan, you have the best recipes. I am definitely coming over. What do you want me to bring?
Can I come too :-)
Old 11-30-2013, 03:37 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Billi, coopah, be here Sunday at 3pm and and we can make dinner together! I'm watching the national steak challenges - where people eat 6 pounds of steak or more at a sitting!! Instead of turning me off.....though I'd never try this or watch the fools that do.....it IS making me hanker for some good beef.

If you're coming, I'm thinking of making my grandmom's chopped sour creamed potatoes (casserole - divine!), some specially steamed shell-on shrimp on the side, roasted Brussel sprouts and a baby lettuces salad to go with whatever yummy beef I find at the store in the morning.

Lands I'm hungry!! Maybe I'll do some quick fajitas tonight.

Jan in VA
Old 11-30-2013, 05:22 PM

That sounds amazing. And now I'm starving looks like Mexican for me too but I'm sending dd out to the taco shop.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:18 PM

My "kids" are in their 40's now. I have been making this recipe since the were children with leftover turkey. Our 3rd son's birthday is Dec 21 and he insists this be his dinner on that day each year with leftover turkey from Thanksgiving that has been frozen.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Turkey Tetrazinni

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Meats, Chicken & Turkey

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 large chicken -- boiled & cut up, or about 4 chicken breasts, just eyeball it - you can use chicken, turkey, or tuna
1/2 pound spaghetti -- boiled until tender
1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese -- grated
2 cups chicken stock -- or 2 cups water and 4 chicken bullion cubes
1 can mushroom soup -- condensed
6 celery ribs -- finely chopped
2 onions -- chopped
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper
parmesan cheese
1 cup pecans -- or almonds

Cook celery & onion in butter until tender; add chicken stock and seasoning; simmer 15 min. and add to mushroom soup; add cheese, set aside. Boil and blanch spaghetti; add to stock. Let stand 1 hr at room temperature and add chicken. Put in 9X15 inch casserole that has been sprayed with pam. Sprinkle nuts and parmasean cheese over top. Heat at 350 degrees until bubbly. Serves 12-15.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : We try to prepare the night before and let it set in the refrigerator for 24 hours before serving to infuse the flavors. Always better the second day.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:14 AM

Six pounds of steak at one sitting? Those people really have to be goofy!
Jan, I'll come by and bring some Angus beef on our next trip to PA! The menu for today sounds good and you certainly eat more healthy than I do! Today it's Outback after church and next week will be Bob Evans or Denny's. I do admire that you cook. I'll be along with that beef in a couple of months! :-)