Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it normal to go to quilt retreats alone? >

Is it normal to go to quilt retreats alone?

Is it normal to go to quilt retreats alone?

Old 12-04-2013, 04:47 AM

I had wanted to do a quilt retreat for awhile. When my LQS put one together, I signed up not knowing anyone but her. It was a WONDERFUL experience and I've made an annual retreat since then. Once my quilting buddies heard about what a terrific time I had, some have joined me each year. Now we have our own group that retreats each January in the same place…Bridle Creek Bed and Breakfast in Hamilton NY.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:52 AM

I just went to a quilt retreat where I did not know the women. Yes, I can quilt at home, but I learned a lot of different things. I quilt on a vintage machine. Everyone else was piecing on plastic machines, yet I learned a lot. When you have quilters who are that dedicated to sewing, no one is a stranger. Turned out I met twins that I went to HS with 41 years ago, and they invited me to fill out the room for the quilt show in Houston next year, which is on my top list and couldn't do alone from Buffalo, NY very economically. GO!
Old 12-04-2013, 05:35 AM

Go to the retreat. You will have 50 friends when you leave. At the retreat that I go to there are a number of 30ish, 40ish and beyond and believe there have even been a couple of 20ishers attending from time to time. Go enjoy and not not all are "quilt experts" and those that are often are so helpful at sharing enouragements and techniques with any one who asks. Be brave and take two or three projects, not your whole quilting room list, and go to work. Introduce yourself to one person. The rest of the folks will come to meet you.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:48 AM

I didn't read all the posts, but I say go. Most quilters are kind, generous, and lots of fun. I went to my first official retreat in October and I loved it. I did have a couple of friends go with me, but i would go by myself now that I know how fun it is. And take lots of projects- even if you don't think you need that many. I made 2 lap sized quilt tops and 2 baby sized tops in a few days. I tried to have most everything cut before I went so I could just sew and visit. I hope that you go and have a wonderful time. You may even meet a new best friend!
Old 12-04-2013, 06:08 AM

I love to go to retreats. No, you don't need to know anyone when you go in but you will surely know a lot of quilters when you leave. Most retreats are so much fun that those that have been there just drag you into their fun. Go and have a blast. You will be glad you did.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:15 AM

Absolutely!!! Go and have a great time. I used to go to retreats by myself all the time and always met wonderful quilters. I just moved to a new state and will be looking up retreats again around here.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:16 AM

Quilters are the best!! I have travelled all over the country and into Canada.... talk about something in common... quilting is a door opener for any conversation... even they do not speak English!! (went to Mexico) found quilters.... LOL!! Enjoy the time spent and absorb as much as you can from these women... (and men) who may be older but are still learning like you....
Let us know how it goes..
big hugs
quiltinmama
Old 12-04-2013, 06:38 AM

Go! Don't think twice about it. You will have a GREAT time! I've met very few quilters who were not outgoing and friendly. And the ones who are not, usually don't go to retreats! lol
Old 12-04-2013, 06:39 AM

I am contemplating going to one alone myself. I figure I am going to learn something. It will be a bonus when I make new friends, but learning a new technique would be my motivation. All other positives would be a plus. Wasn't it Will Rogers who said, a friend is just a person I haven't met yet. Or something like that. Have a great time, bet there will be all levels of experience there.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:45 AM

One of the nifty things about "getting older" is experience. No kidding. For example, I have discovered that I have friends I don't know yet. Think about that one for a second. In your application, that would work out to mean that in that room of quilters there are unknown-as-yet friends who share lots of interests with you as well as that of quilting - and that quilting thing ain't bad!

Now for what seems to be the underlying issue of your comment, Sewnoma. My father died recently and I am emptying his house. Finding lots of pictures of me before stuff started to sag and the grey hair stripe that started when I was 17 began to "branch out." I discovered in the silence and surrounded by those pictures that it is only this body, the one I am sitting here writing to you in, that is getting older; "me, who I am" is not getting older at all.

My family, both sides, is long-lived. One grandmother (died aged 96) and later, her daughter (died aged 93), complained they had outlived their friends. They meant their contemporaries. No amount of tea and talk could convince them that if they got a kick out of hanging around with me, their granddaughter/niece, there were others out there who might be rewarding too. I think and told them that they missed out if they stuck with just me even if I am quite often funny and charming.

Final confession: my favorite word is "now!" Yup, with the exclamation point firmly in place.

So, jump and plan on enjoying the trip to the retreat and any elsewheres you find attractive. You are charming and worthwhile to know and if someone doesn't want to know you, well apply the concept I learned at university (expurgated so I do not offend someone), "phooey on them."

Please let us know how your retreat goes. Wish you were closer so I could gather you up and head for a neutral place for a a soda, a fish sandwich and sit there and hear the stories ad nauseum. (I think that's how that Latin tag goes.)

Another confession: I am opinionated but a wonderful cheering section. Stories, please, even if there is nofish sandwich and across the table involved. Even if you do have to shorten them so you aren't glued to the computer for the day. Success is in the doing and the one grandmother was right when she insisted that if you do not ask the answer is always, "No."

Pat