Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
NEW UPDATE!!  11/20 Secret Santa 2013---OPENING DAY-DECEMBER 8 @ 4PM EST!!!! >

NEW UPDATE!! 11/20 Secret Santa 2013---OPENING DAY-DECEMBER 8 @ 4PM EST!!!!

NEW UPDATE!! 11/20 Secret Santa 2013---OPENING DAY-DECEMBER 8 @ 4PM EST!!!!

Old 12-11-2013, 06:17 AM

Thank you, you so eloquently said exactly what I was thinking and feeling. I'll be honest, I absolutely adored shopping and creating for my Secret Santa. She was a joy to get to know. And I received from a wonderful generous Santa who sent me some beautiful things that I will have a great time creating with. But, I am thinking twice about joining next year. I don't know, I have a year to think about it. Knitette really put into words what I was feeling.
Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
Forgive me if I tread on anyone's toes - you can blame on me being a 'foreigner' if you like, but I've been reading all the posts for the last few days and see there is quite a bit of hurt feelings. Never underestimate the power of the written word.

I haven't been terribly active on this thread. Although I started off in fine fettle, the endless pages of stream of consciousness posts are not for me - I find them too exhausting to keep up with, so decided not to, and only dipped in and out from time to time. My choice.

I know that lack of thread participation by 'swappers' annoyed some people and there was bad feeling which Terri thankfully jumped on. Some 'joking' posts were clearly thinly veiled digs in order to 'encourage' people to join in more. I suspect others felt like me - they simply couldn't/didn't want to keep up. Some days there were hundreds of posts akin to a chat room. This may have intimidated some who may have otherwise joined in. Others just don't post, but prefer to stay in the background. Anyway it's their choice.

Another area of hurt feelings was that not everyone joined in the opening at the same time. Some people need to realise that this is a fun swap and this opening may not be the most important event in their lives............ The rules state "There will be a chat session, so everyone can come and we can open our gifts together." It doesn't say you HAVE to open your gift at that time, although that is a huge part of the fun for many. Bear in mind that this gift bought by someone else, might be the only gift they get this Christmas. It is their choice how they decide to savour it. Others will have simply have forgotten about the parcel that arrived weeks ago. (Mine did last year - the world didn't end.)

Similarly, life gets in the way of people posting on time. I know six or so weeks is a long time. If only all our lives are so perfect that all we have to do is organise one parcel and pop it in the post............. Some people may have to wait for pay day and it may be a large chunk of their budget. I will repeat the previous sentiment when my own parcel wasn't posted on time, 'We do not know what goes on behind closed doors'.

As for not liking what you got sent - words truly fail me. Isn't it about giving, not getting?

I'm nearly ready to jump off my soapbox now. However, one thing I would love to see introduced is that all participants have to send a personal message of thanks to their sender. I was brought up to always send a 'Thank you' letter for any gift I received and I really don't think it's too much for people to write a short private message of thanks. They don't have to participate on the thread, but can if they want to. I too love seeing all the parcels and I choose to post pictures. Sending a short 'Thank you' would circumvent a lot of bad feeling - you may find out why they were late/didn't join in the thread/didn't open 'on time'.

So, in the true spirit of Christmas - it is better to give than receive, thinking of others before ourselves. Surely that's the true intention of the Secret Santa? I know that this may offend some people and may feel as if I'm sermonising. You are free to disagree - it's your choice.
Peace to you all.

Last edited by Judith1005; 12-11-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:12 AM

The same for me. For all we know these ladies who have not yet posted may have had an accident or may have suffered a life issue and died!!! And if that is the case maybe they have no one who could post on here for them. For me the best part is about giving and that is what Christmas should be all about. I am so thankful to be alive and to be able to participate on this board. It is winter and there has been a lot of snow, ice and wind so some may not have electricity to use the computer. I am for sure joining next SS swap, whether I get a pkg or not, I sure can send a biggie for someone to enjoy. And that folks is what Christmas is all about. LOVE THY FELLOWMAN/WOMAN. LOVE MAKES THE WORLD GO ROUND. Amy
Old 12-11-2013, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by CookyIN View Post
Knitette, I had never seen a Highland cow... so that's what was so hairy, eh? And silly me thought you were shipping a little man across the pond!
Poor thing needs his heavy coat to protect himself from the weather!!
Old 12-11-2013, 08:52 AM

well said Knitette. at times as I read the posts I felt like I was eavesdropping on a kindergarten class! But, this has still be the most fun for me. I get tired of buying for my family and they just 'expect'. This was fun to purchase and to surprise someone. I, too, can't wait until next year and vote for a small Christmas in July swap!
Terina
Old 12-11-2013, 01:28 PM

well said Knitette in all the years I have done secret santa I have only received 2 special thank you,s pm,s ,and these 2 made my day . just taking the time to pm makes it all worth the time that you made your secret santa person very happy. I sent a pm to my secret santa thanking her for the wonderful gifts .
Old 12-11-2013, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
I realize it's none of my business but if I were your Secret Santa, I'd be very sad right now. I was very excited and anxious, to find out if my Secret Santa recipient liked what I sent . . . and was hoping she'd be equally excited to open it. Reading her response to what I'd sent, was one of the high points of the swap, for me. If she'd purposefully made me wait an extra week, I'd probably be in tears, about now.

For the sake of your Secret Santa, please open go ahead and open the gift she sent you, so that she can enjoy your reaction and know it makes you happy.
I am hoping she will understand that I haven't opened my package because of time issues. I am opening on Friday as it is my only day off and I want to enjoy my surprises. If this is an issue with my SS I do appolgize and wouldn't want to upset anyone. I am so appreciative of what I have even not knowing what it is. Again sorry for the delay.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:57 PM

Knitette, You said exactly what I wanted to say so I won't repeat. Thanks for understanding and realizing that being in the background sometimes is still enough to put a smile on my face and watching what others do and say makes for a good day in my eyes. I don't join in verbally, but I do read. I am one of the ones that hasn't opened my gift yet, no to be disrespectful to my SS but because my life is a bit busy and I want to savor my gift so I can enjoy it. Thanks again and Merry Christmas to you all.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by marcialee View Post
To whomever is my SS....I haven't opened my package yet. Life got in the way and I totally forgot and so now I am planning on opening it on Thurs or Fri. with another member of the quilt board. I am excited to see what I got and I am sorry I had to postpone opening it.
Originally Posted by marcialee View Post
I am hoping she will understand that I haven't opened my package because of time issues. I am opening on Friday as it is my only day off and I want to enjoy my surprises. If this is an issue with my SS I do appolgize and wouldn't want to upset anyone. I am so appreciative of what I have even not knowing what it is. Again sorry for the delay.
I apologize for misunderstanding your earlier post.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:01 PM

Knitette....Thank you soooo much for your words. You have said it MUCH better than I could have.
You have hit the nail on the head!

I hope those that are complaining will take heed to what Knitette has said. If you aren't happy with what you rec'd, just bow out of the thread graciously. When you post publicly these negative things, it makes you look as if you aren't a nice person. It's your choice to join. You read the rules and you agreed to them. I stated in the rules that some will get packages better than others and it was nothing to complain about, but here you are complaining. I do suggest that next year, you not join Secret Santa. Honest, it won't break my heart and it won't break the heart of the others that join the fun. The fun is in the giving......it's Christmas time people!

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
Forgive me if I tread on anyone's toes - you can blame on me being a 'foreigner' if you like, but I've been reading all the posts for the last few days and see there is quite a bit of hurt feelings. Never underestimate the power of the written word.

I haven't been terribly active on this thread. Although I started off in fine fettle, the endless pages of stream of consciousness posts are not for me - I find them too exhausting to keep up with, so decided not to, and only dipped in and out from time to time. My choice.

I know that lack of thread participation by 'swappers' annoyed some people and there was bad feeling which Terri thankfully jumped on. Some 'joking' posts were clearly thinly veiled digs in order to 'encourage' people to join in more. I suspect others felt like me - they simply couldn't/didn't want to keep up. Some days there were hundreds of posts akin to a chat room. This may have intimidated some who may have otherwise joined in. Others just don't post, but prefer to stay in the background. Anyway it's their choice.

Another area of hurt feelings was that not everyone joined in the opening at the same time. Some people need to realise that this is a fun swap and this opening may not be the most important event in their lives............ The rules state "There will be a chat session, so everyone can come and we can open our gifts together." It doesn't say you HAVE to open your gift at that time, although that is a huge part of the fun for many. Bear in mind that this gift bought by someone else, might be the only gift they get this Christmas. It is their choice how they decide to savour it. Others will have simply have forgotten about the parcel that arrived weeks ago. (Mine did last year - the world didn't end.)

Similarly, life gets in the way of people posting on time. I know six or so weeks is a long time. If only all our lives are so perfect that all we have to do is organise one parcel and pop it in the post............. Some people may have to wait for pay day and it may be a large chunk of their budget. I will repeat the previous sentiment when my own parcel wasn't posted on time, 'We do not know what goes on behind closed doors'.

As for not liking what you got sent - words truly fail me. Isn't it about giving, not getting?

I'm nearly ready to jump off my soapbox now. However, one thing I would love to see introduced is that all participants have to send a personal message of thanks to their sender. I was brought up to always send a 'Thank you' letter for any gift I received and I really don't think it's too much for people to write a short private message of thanks. They don't have to participate on the thread, but can if they want to. I too love seeing all the parcels and I choose to post pictures. Sending a short 'Thank you' would circumvent a lot of bad feeling - you may find out why they were late/didn't join in the thread/didn't open 'on time'.

So, in the true spirit of Christmas - it is better to give than receive, thinking of others before ourselves. Surely that's the true intention of the Secret Santa? I know that this may offend some people and may feel as if I'm sermonising. You are free to disagree - it's your choice.
Peace to you all.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:33 PM

I totally agree, there has been to much insinuation on this suppose to be "happy swap" this year. I have joined every year I've been on the board because to me that is the spirit of the season. For me it's like going in any store that has a tree posted with "I need", "I could use", etc. and you buy a gift for someone that you hope will make them happy. I do it ever year for numerous people I don't even know. I figure in a way it's my way of giving back and I love doing it. So do I like to hear that my SS loved her package, most certainly and I certainly did this year, but saying that it's not the most important thing. If you are in this for the presents, you are in it for the wrong reasons. I hope it changes next year and this being said it's over until next year and I don't want a "bitter taste" in my mouth so I am deleting this thread until it is time again.