Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW >

2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

Old 12-13-2013, 06:13 AM

The sale is still on. I just downloaded it. Cost is $9.95 instead of $14.95.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:36 AM

Ok, I'm in! I just downloaded the patterns and Rob is bringing up the book. Cool Beans.
I saw images of someone's block here and was blown away. Nice to have company for the journey!
Old 12-13-2013, 10:43 AM

I've been reading last years thread, courtsy of katybob's link above, and found this post.
-------------------
FYI, Carol Doak's publishing co started adding a CD with printable foundations after much negative customer feedback. Lots of people bought her older publications thinking the CDs would have the patterns and complained when they did not and they had to fork over extra money for the companion CD. So now they are included with her more recent publications.

I borrowed this book from the library and have to return it this week. I did not get a chance to work out of it, as I was busy with presents, etc. So this is just the motivation I need to buy the book and join in the fray. Right now, I will put myself down as a maybe - I have to make sure I can get the book and fabric as a birthday present from my hubby. (My bday is at the very beginning of January, so I'll PM when I know for sure.)

What fun and what a great idea!!!!
Sheila N.
---------------------------------------------------
So before you order the pattern CD SEE what the one in your book is.
I can't remember if I bought mine new or used, and did not look at the CD
Meanwhile I just paid for the pattern download Oh Well...
Old 12-13-2013, 10:45 AM

My CD only has PP instructions, no blocks So I must have bought an older version though I only bought my book in Spring this year.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:06 PM

I've been reading everyone's post, couldn't decide if I wanted to join. Well I knew I wanted to, but 2014 is the year I'm supposed to finish UFOs. I've had the book for a couple of years, and made one block. Seeing the the CD was on sale, made the decision for me. Thinking about using reds and white for my fabric.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
thank you Katybob!

Sorry to be a consistent nuisance But has anyone with Windows 8 downloaded the software for the 50 stars?
I have the book but no way am interested in 12" blocks. thanks again~
the factory site does not indicate it is compatible with Win8.
I bought the download a couple of hours ago. I am running the original Windows 8. I had no problems. It downloads an exec that asks if you want to "run" after the download is complete. I did. It created a folder on my desktop. I opened the folder to make sure I could access it. I created a couple of pdf's for later printing. You have your choice of what size finished 1/4 block you want. The default is 6" which by the time you do 4, you will have a 12" block.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:24 PM

I was wondering what colors would look good for these blocks and found this website with each states star displayed. Some really great examples. Enjoy!
http://www.niftyfiftyquilters.com/nf22.html
Old 12-13-2013, 11:50 PM
Power Poster

Hi everyone. I have this book and have made a few of the blocks during boom swaps and for a round robin. Her patterns are fabulous. I am currently in 2 round robins, but might try to squeeze this in. I will plan to use only fabrics from my stash, except possibly purchasing a fabric for a consistent background. Looking forward to getting to know all of you and see your beautiful blocks.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:31 AM

This morning I printed out the first 14 State blocks to make 8" blocks. I am excited to begin because I really enjoy paper piecing. I may not wait until January to begin!

I do plan to use Batik fabrics but I have a nice variety of Civil War reproduction fabrics left over from when I made my Dear Jane quilt. I will see if I can possibly incorporate them mixed in with the Batiks for a different look!

Last edited by nygal; 12-14-2013 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:30 AM

Rob brought up my book and the CD was just the instructional one.
I wrote down the download step and followed them and all is well. The program is in Documents.
I printed out a 4" and a 5" quarter block, I think I like the 5" (equals a 10" finished block) best.