Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
NEW UPDATE!!  11/20 Secret Santa 2013---OPENING DAY-DECEMBER 8 @ 4PM EST!!!! >

NEW UPDATE!! 11/20 Secret Santa 2013---OPENING DAY-DECEMBER 8 @ 4PM EST!!!!

NEW UPDATE!! 11/20 Secret Santa 2013---OPENING DAY-DECEMBER 8 @ 4PM EST!!!!

Old 12-13-2013, 06:51 AM

I tried but it's really difficult with so much inflation. And if you have to send for it there are shipping costs. That's why it's nice if members give some direction as to their interests, likes, dislikes, choice of books, patterns, etc. You can then shop around for the best prices or watch for sales. I try to increase the value of my gifts by purchasing nice fabric and by making a variety of handmade items that I feel are useful and that can be made throughout the year. Here again, it's nice to know at least what colors someone likes or dislikes.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm View Post
Did anyone follow the $20 guideline? I followed the rules. I hope my SS was not disappointed.
I did and didn't follow the money guide line. First of all, I don't count anything I've made from my stash. Second, I don't count anything I've shared from my stash. And third, I added a bit to the twenty dollar limit for inflated prices. But, all in all, I kept to the limit appropriate to my budget. (Whenever I bought during the year, I just added a "stash" item for my secret Santa.) It allowed me to do something special for my secret Santa. Also, there are a lot of free items on the net to be had if you look for them. And shopping the bargain bins and after holiday sales allows you to pick up stash items to share for next year.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:22 AM

Did anyone follow the $20 guideline? I followed the rules. I hope my SS was not disappointed.
I watch for sales, so already had a few things bought and put away, before the swap began. Since I don't remember exactly what I paid for those things, I couldn't count them into the $20 amount. I also made a few things and those didn't count, since most of the materials used were some I had on hand. I did specially buy a pattern for one of those items but can't count that, since I kept that pattern and can use it for others, as well. What I actually spent on stuff after receiving my SS name, may have gone a tad over $20 but probably not by much. Most of what I bought, I bought on sale or with a coupon.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:34 PM

I didn't follow the 20 rule and I didn't think about making anything, I am far from a perfect quilter so I didn't even consider sending something I made. I just took the hints my partner gave and went from there, she said she likes brights so I found some things I thought were beautiful and wrapped them up. She seemed quite pleased and that's all that mattered to me.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:14 PM

This is my one and only quilt group. The reason is clear, it is the greatest bunch of folks I have ever interacted with! My secret Santa sent me a wonderful gift box. The other exchanges I have been in have also very positive. I don't understand being critical of a gift, and the only time one of my children was, I forced her to give it back and apologize. Please if you want to make a specific gift list, send it to Santa. We are loving, giving, caring people. Negatives should be saved for math problems only. Thank you Teri, you made my Christmas brighter, and all the comedy here made me smile daily. Thank you all for your contributions to my holiday. Merry Christmas to all and Happy Holidays to those who celebrate differently than I do. Blessings.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by annt59 View Post
I posted my picture from TammyB on December Secret Pal # 101 Page 11. Thanks again, Tammy.
You are so welcome! I'm glad you liked everything. Happy Holidays!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sent to Annt59.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	451657  
Old 12-13-2013, 11:30 PM

I received a very nice package from Dee...no board name...2 packages actually....beautiful batik fabrics, handmade potholder and quilt block, vintage quilt block, vintage magazine, vintage spools, vintage lace, vintage hankies (yes, I LOVE vintage sewing notions) haha, a tin of piroutte sticks=yum, a cup and straw, some current quilt magazines. Thanks so much!! Merry Christmas all!
Old 12-14-2013, 01:40 AM

I was very close to the $20.00 not including shipping. The batiks were on sale when I purchased them and the notions were minimal without being on sale. Other than the candy everthing else came from my stash. I had purchased a bunch of different very gently used quilting books on the Board and once I read the likes and dislikes chose a couple of books to add. Fortunately Neesie likes traditional quilts so it was easy to pick which books to send. She mentioned that she likes I Spy quilts and I happen to have loads of pre-cut squares in my stash. When I first started quilting I knew nothing about rotary cutters, Accuquilt etc so I purchased squares. I had so much fun picking the ones I sent. I'm just happy she thinks I did good.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:23 AM

I wish I knew who my Secret Pal was gonna be for next year, that would be cool to pick up things for them thru out the year.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by blondeslave View Post
I was very close to the $20.00 not including shipping. The batiks were on sale when I purchased them and the notions were minimal without being on sale. Other than the candy everthing else came from my stash. I had purchased a bunch of different very gently used quilting books on the Board and once I read the likes and dislikes chose a couple of books to add. Fortunately Neesie likes traditional quilts so it was easy to pick which books to send. She mentioned that she likes I Spy quilts and I happen to have loads of pre-cut squares in my stash. When I first started quilting I knew nothing about rotary cutters, Accuquilt etc so I purchased squares. I had so much fun picking the ones I sent. I'm just happy she thinks I did good.
Neesie is thrilled beyond belief, with her new goodies! THANK YOU, again!!!

I do feel just a tad silly, though. Last night, I was using my cute, cute new mug rug . . . and noticed a hanging loop, on the back. Ummmmmm . . . is it a potholder? Nevertheless, that darling little low-rider is staying next to my chair, for my tea!