Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your take on 'modern' quilts? >

What is your take on 'modern' quilts?

What is your take on 'modern' quilts?

Old 12-14-2013, 02:53 AM

I can definitely say with my quilt that although the blocks were simple, picking the color palette was really challenging! I am also not sure what design to do for the FMQ. Boy am I glad I started this thread!
Old 12-14-2013, 03:24 AM

I think that because there is a lot more negative space in many modern quilts, it requires excellent FMQ skills to fill in the space both in planning and execution and that is what intimidates me about making some of the modern quilts out there...
Old 12-14-2013, 03:44 AM

I like it,I'm still learning and it be a nice change not to be matching seams all the time, btw,I like your over the door shoe rack LOL! I have 3 one for my shoes,1 for my spools of thread and another for all my sewing supplies really handy, but can't find the clear ones anymore they were martha stewart brand
Old 12-14-2013, 04:12 AM

My take is that tho the piecing is simpler, the quilts have a lot of white space. The QUILTING takes center stage. Ni love that.

sandy
Old 12-14-2013, 04:47 AM

What's modern today will be vintage later.

I still haven't met a quilt I didn't like. Well, there was that enormous Cathedral Window in dull maroon and navy. My reaction was, Why?

Many ordinary quilts have been made, loved, and used up. So it will be with modern quilts.

Everybody should be welcome at this party. Makes me wonder what is next, quilting with your home computer and a special printer?
Old 12-14-2013, 05:12 AM

You need to be good at free motion quilting for modern quilts. Im not so don't do modern unless sent out to longarmer.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
I say to each his own, but personally I prefer the traditional patterns, I have been quilting so long I like a challenge. I have seen some"modern" quilt patterns and quilts I really liked and others I thought "What were they thinking"!!!! And as time goes by and our skills change I think we do too.

I'm in this group of thinking. I like the traditional, but can enjoy some of the 'modern' quilts. It depends on the recipient of what I am making as to how it is made.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:34 AM

Google MODERN HOMES and look at the photos for a little. I think 'modern' quilts are similar to 'modern' homes.

Modern Quilts seem geometric, simple or basic shapes with lots of 'open space' that allow the quilting to be an important design element in the MQ look.

In modern quilts, I see fabrics by NEW designers in UNIQUE colors that are on a new ring outside the basic color wheel. As some pointed out above, the color choices MQers chose may not be what a 'traditional quilter' would use. But you don't mix ERAs, do you? I don't think you'll see Civil War era or 30's fabrics in truly MQ....but you wouldn't mix different eras together in traditional quilting unless you were doing scrappy.

While it appears there are lots of 'young' quilters involved in MQ, some of us traditional quilters are joining them!
It's NEW! It's EXCITING! It's HISTORICAL! and I LOVE IT!

A quilt is a quilt is a quilt - LOVE IT - USE IT - ADMIRE IT.
Everyone's TASTE is different. Just like there's different styles of houses and cookies, there's different styles of quilts.

Nan - in snowy Indiana
Old 12-14-2013, 05:35 AM

I like some of the modern quilts and they usually have big areas for quilting. Since I am a longarm quilter, I have gotten some good ideas for quilting designs from the modern quilts. I make, however, traditional quilts. I like the more intricate patterns because precise piecing is my favorite part.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:38 AM

Trends change. I think some Modern quilts are quite nice and do emphasize the quilting. Others just look lazy to me. I know DH always prefers the back of the quilt. He likes the all over pattern with only a few blocks. I make 48 - 54 wide throws and add extra blocks, scraps in simple patterns. So my backs tend to look modern.