Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
NEW UPDATE!!  11/20 Secret Santa 2013---OPENING DAY-DECEMBER 8 @ 4PM EST!!!! >

NEW UPDATE!! 11/20 Secret Santa 2013---OPENING DAY-DECEMBER 8 @ 4PM EST!!!!

NEW UPDATE!! 11/20 Secret Santa 2013---OPENING DAY-DECEMBER 8 @ 4PM EST!!!!

Old 12-14-2013, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by marcialee View Post
I wish I knew who my Secret Pal was gonna be for next year, that would be cool to pick up things for them thru out the year.
That would be fun! We'd also have an entire year, to tease the person!
Old 12-14-2013, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Neesie is thrilled beyond belief, with her new goodies! THANK YOU, again!!!

I do feel just a tad silly, though. Last night, I was using my cute, cute new mug rug . . . and noticed a hanging loop, on the back. Ummmmmm . . . is it a potholder? Nevertheless, that darling little low-rider is staying next to my chair, for my tea!
Yep, it's a pot holder but I won't tell if you won't.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by blondeslave View Post
Yep, it's a pot holder but I won't tell if you won't.
If I'm drinking my tea and suddenly need to grab something from the oven, I'm all set!
Seriously, I noticed it was thicker than most mug rugs . . . but considered that a good thing, as my tea starts out pretty hot. Figured that made it extra special!

BTW, I do know the darling little candy tree is an ornament. Just want to let you know I didn't try to eat it, since you may now be wondering about my ability to tell one thing from another.

Last edited by Neesie; 12-14-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:21 AM

I didn't worry about the dollar amount either but didn't go overboard. I had picked up items on sale and started my Secret Santa box long before I received the name. My thought was their are some items all quilters use . I made a table runner and retired fire chief you make beautiful runners also. Once I received my name and her likes I zeroed in on them. It really helped that she said she liked to decorate for several seasons.

I have been enjoying items from my package already and will start collecting for next year right away.
Terriamn
Old 12-14-2013, 09:53 AM

OK... Here's my true confession: I still have all my goodies in the box they came in. I took it with me to show my quilting buddy, trying to entice her to join in next year. She thoroughly enjoyed fondling everything, but she hasn't cracked! I have also taken everything out and re-enjoyed the thrill....several times. The egg cup pincushion, however, is right where I can see her all the time. I absolutely love that little thing. Eventually, I will begin to get real and start enjoying all these goodies....but for now, this is good! My SS really outdid herself! Thank you catpawski! I wish I was able to post photos, but I must have a brain block or something.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by dreamer2009 View Post
Christmas Cookies

Mmmm! The smell of fresh baked cookies is in the air. Is there anything better than Christmas cookie time? Over the last few weeks, friends have been making sugar cookies, rum balls, chocolate fudge, snicker doodles, persimmon spice cookies…the list goes on. There is something about Christmas that pulls all of the bakers of the country out of the woodwork. Even my youngest daughter took on the challenge this year and learned how to bake.
Kristine is 10, and started with simple chocolate chip cookies. Once she had that mastered, I was apparently no longer needed in the kitchen. She now pours over recipe books until she finds something interesting and “tweeks” it to make it her own. I am not allowed to help at all. Last week she found a chocolate cookie recipe that she adapted by adding crushed candy canes instead of white chocolate. The cookies turned out soft and cake like with just a hint of peppemint. While Kristine was disappointed in the outcome (she likes crunchy cookies), I ate half the plate.
It never ceases to amaze me how capable our children are if we simply give them the room to learn and grow. The goal of Frontier Girls is to foster that independence and give the girls a place to expand their interests. By 10 years old, kids are capable of doing just about anything an adult is, if they are given the time to practice and learn. The deal I have with my daughter is that she is welcome to bake as long as she cleans up after herself. It is wonderful to finish up a long day and have fresh baked cookies on the counter and a clean kitchen!
If you are looking for a quick, fun, last minute cookie project to do with your kids, try making reindeer cookies. No cooking required!
Reindeer Cookies
You will need:
  • 1 package of Nutter Butter cookies
  • 1 tube of white frosting
  • brown M&Ms
  • red M&Ms
  • small pretzels (the twisted type, not the sticks)
  • wax paper.
Lay out your cookies on the wax paper leaving enough room to add antlers (the pretzels) on top. Use the frosting to attach a pretzel to the top of the cookie. Do the same with two brown M&Ms attached to the front of your cookie for eyes, and a red M&M for a nose, and you have a quick and easy reindeer cookie!
Hey, Dreamer...remember when you posted this? I thought it was so cute that I printed it off & today I made a batch...fun, fun, fun. Thanks for posting it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Reindeer cookies posted by Dreamer on QB.JPG
Views:	538
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	451853  
Old 12-14-2013, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm View Post
Did anyone follow the $20 guideline? I followed the rules. I hope my SS was not disappointed.
Yes Dotty, I follow the $20 guideline, if it is something I bought on sale and put in a box to use in swaps I count the cost. I think it is important to follow the guidelines for a few reasons. One is integrity, in the the guidelines it is stated that if you sign up you agree to follow them.

And I know there are people who have participated in swaps(this one and the monthly one) and don't continue because when they see the amount of some packages they feel bad for the person they send to because they can't spend more and don't have a huge stash like some have mentioned having, and they feel the person they sent to is shortchanged because they did follow the guideline. This situation is one that I think it is more generous to follow the guidelines so that everyone that joins is on equal grounds on both ends of the scale, and no one will feel the package they sent that was following the guideline is too little because others have sent a lot more. And on the other side, no one should send something that is of less value than the guideline either, and if you take it from your stash don't inflate the value to try to get by without meeting the guideline.

If someone is pulling stuff from their stash or buying things through out the year are they figuring what the cost would be? Or are they taking from their stash and not counting the value for another reason? Some have said that if they are spending money on postage to sent they want to get their money's worth. This would only be a viable reason if yo are sending overseas where your postage is the same for anything 4 pounds or less as that is the starting price whether it is 1# or 3, or 4#s, and if more weight it will be more cost. But domestically you don't have to send by priority mail so it really isn't viable as a reason for sending in priority flat rate box, if you don't have a heavy gift to send.

The person I had last year stated on some thread here that her sp spent a lot more and when I saw that, I posted that if it was more it was only $1 or 2 more. The reason I think that she thought that was because in the summer I picked up a miniture tea cup and saucer at a rummage sale, thinking it could be used to make a cute pincushion for a swap. Well the person I had happened to collect teacups so instead of making a pincushion I included the $1 teacup & saucer. I am sure if I went to one of the antique stores and bought that same one it would have been more.

Someone stated that if they order something they don't include the shipping charges--but the guidelines clearly state that postage is not included in the $20-so no one should include shipping charges for things they order as well as the cost to send the package.

And if I get a package that follows the rules I am absolutely happy. If I get a package that is double or triple, yes I am happy to get it. But my preference would be to get a package from someone who follows the rules so anyone is comfortable being in the swap.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:46 PM

the reindeer cookies are soo cute. Thanks for posting them!
Old 12-14-2013, 07:17 PM

Sorry to my Secret Santa-still in the hospital while my box calls my name in the distance Hope to be home in the next few days!
Old 12-14-2013, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
Sorry to my Secret Santa-still in the hospital while my box calls my name in the distance Hope to be home in the next few days!

PAT can someone bring your box to you ?