Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your take on 'modern' quilts? >

What is your take on 'modern' quilts?

What is your take on 'modern' quilts?

Old 12-15-2013, 09:07 AM

actually, I like both. Traditional and modern. Some patterns of each that I don't like. Guess that is why we are all different. ;-)
Old 12-15-2013, 09:10 AM

I love most any quilt. Many modern quilts are great - love the simplicity and the graphic designs. My heart is with traditional quilts but I have seen some modern ones I would really like to try. They are definitely on my bucket list!
Old 12-15-2013, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

I'd like to throw in a thought regarding to how each individual's brain thinks. Over years of quiltmaking that has developed into making my own designs, I have observed that I think very symmetrically when putting a quilt design together. This formal balance concept shows through when I'm putting pictures on the wall as well. Off center layouts are very hard for me to create. I've been working to get out of this "box" but it is not easy. The modern quilt movement relies on asymmetrical design to a large extent. Could this be one of the reasons why it doesn't appeal to me as much as the more traditional approach that I have worked with for a long time? Or is it because the asymmetrical design is new and not as familiar with my brain waves?

Oh and my kids think I'm a little off center Go figure!
Old 12-15-2013, 09:25 AM
RST

okeswaglad -- you've hit on a major point -- symmetrical balance vs. asymmetrical. And you're right-- getting visual balance without symmetry is challenging, but it's also very dynamic and visually interesting. I grew up with symmetry being the ideal, and over time I've come to love asymmetry, so much so that things which are predictable and symmetrical just bore me.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:31 AM

I like all quilts.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:59 AM

As someone who likes to use traditional patterns with unusual colors, I'll just sit here quietly.....
Old 12-15-2013, 10:11 AM

I say if it gets someone quilting, or liking quilts, then yayyyyyyyy!!! If we all liked the same things it would be a very boring QB and the photos would all be the same, with not much to look forward to.

I am thankful for the wide range in tastes of fabric, pattern, design and construction!
Old 12-15-2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
As someone who likes to use traditional patterns with unusual colors, I'll just sit here quietly.....
We like you anyway.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:26 AM

The piecing matters more than the quilting to me. I want to do points lines up perfect and all that and think sometimes things are over quilted by others. To me the quilting is just to hold it all and the batting together. I just depends on whats important to the maker I guess. If the batting allows for it I'll do the whole thing stitch in the ditch with no quilting showing on top. I'm getting the impression I'm in the minority here.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:55 AM

It's the piecing I love too. My quilting usually consists of a 1/4" outline stitch to hold the layers together. I'll never be one who does the fancy quilt stitching as 1) I won't ever have a longarm, and 2) I'm not physically able to manage it on my regular machine. I prefer the minimal quilting anyway, as I like quilts to be soft and fluffy.

The quilting work I see here on the board is lovely and fascinating, and the skill and artistic ability quite blows me away. It just isn't anything I strive towards in my own quilting. Like seeing great art, I have a deep appreciation, but it doesn't make me love my own scribbles any less. LOL