Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
NEW UPDATE!!  11/20 Secret Santa 2013---OPENING DAY-DECEMBER 8 @ 4PM EST!!!! >

NEW UPDATE!! 11/20 Secret Santa 2013---OPENING DAY-DECEMBER 8 @ 4PM EST!!!!

NEW UPDATE!! 11/20 Secret Santa 2013---OPENING DAY-DECEMBER 8 @ 4PM EST!!!!

Old 12-15-2013, 12:05 PM

This was my first SS and I had to scramble to see how many items I could stuff into the box and stay within the $20 limit. I'm going to have a ball next year keeping an eye out for wonderful items at bargain prices. You see, for me, part of the fun will be seeing just how far I can make that $20 stretch -- I want to hear it squeal!

As for pleasing my Santee, I can tweak what I put in once I get her/his list of likes. So many items are universal to quilters and yes, we may have something, but so many things either get depleted or worn, we always need a new one. And I'm definitely making a gift to tuck in which will be entirely from leftovers in my stash and essentially costs me nothing but time -- which will be a gift to my Santee that I choose to give outside of the $20 limit simply in the Spirit of Christmas.

I can't wait for next year!
Old 12-15-2013, 12:36 PM

That is exactly the way I see it. What we choose to give outside of the $20 limit is up to us. We all know that there are people on the board who are on fixed incomes. We all know that not everyone has access to LQS and such stores. Maybe some don't have a credit card to buy online items. It all comes down to one thing --we joined this swap to have some fun, teasing and joshing, but also to be able to gift someone with a package that we put together so they could experience the love from the people on this board. My biggest thrill is that someone actually likes what I sent. I have given gifts to people who did not appreciate what I gave, so now I find people on this board to gift stuff to. I have lots of stuff that I need to get rid of since I am sure that I will never use/make all of it and if someone else can so be it.

I would love to do a swap in July to keep the spirit of giving as the reason for the season and maybe give someone else great joy. How about it? Would there be anyone out there who would want to tackle something like that? I wish I could, but I have so much work yet, not retired yet.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi View Post
Now is the time to start collecting. Tons of things after Christmas will be going on sale, so you can pick them up cheap. that's how most of the people get what they need for next years SS.
There's usually someone that wonders HOW someone can send out a package with so much stuff and only spend $20. Well? That's how it's done. You shop and shop all year long. When you find a deal on something, you buy it, whether it's 1 or 101. There's usually a swap that you will join and you can always tuck something nice in to what you are sending. I collect all year long. I can usually find seam rippers for 10 cents, cute buttons for a quarter or so, thread is always going on sale at different times of the year. Fat quarters go on sale also. You can always tuck extra fat quarters into a package too. There's all sorts of things to find and gather.
Terri's post #4588 for anyone who missed it.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by CookyIN View Post
This was my first SS and I had to scramble to see how many items I could stuff into the box and stay within the $20 limit. I'm going to have a ball next year keeping an eye out for wonderful items at bargain prices. You see, for me, part of the fun will be seeing just how far I can make that $20 stretch -- I want to hear it squeal!

As for pleasing my Santee, I can tweak what I put in once I get her/his list of likes. So many items are universal to quilters and yes, we may have something, but so many things either get depleted or worn, we always need a new one. And I'm definitely making a gift to tuck in which will be entirely from leftovers in my stash and essentially costs me nothing but time -- which will be a gift to my Santee that I choose to give outside of the $20 limit simply in the Spirit of Christmas.

It's amazing what treasures and bargains can be found, if one shops with future swaps in mind.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by CookyIN View Post
This was my first SS and I had to scramble to see how many items I could stuff into the box and stay within the $20 limit. I'm going to have a ball next year keeping an eye out for wonderful items at bargain prices. You see, for me, part of the fun will be seeing just how far I can make that $20 stretch -- I want to hear it s

Well sad CookyIn
Old 12-16-2013, 03:29 AM

I meant Well SAID CookyIN
Old 12-16-2013, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by neesie View Post
in the very first post, here's what terri said about spending.

"... As in the past years, you will send 4 fat quarters and a gift(s) not to exceed $20. i know some in the past have sent much more than the $20 limit and that cannot be helped. some people are just a bit more generous than others. that is nothing to get mad about and nothing i can control. ..."

there are also rules about what not to send, firm mailing date, not opening gifts before the opening date, etc. Since this is terri's swap, i believe we should abide by her decision, regarding the stash offerings and other extras.
this was my first ss swap and i guess i didn't read the rules very well. I just assumed that it was like the monthly one and anything from or made from stash didn't count towards the dollar limit. I did stay within the limit on stuff i bought ,not including the fat quarters because i didn't have any stash of the kind of fabric my ss wanted so had to buy them.. And then just included what i wanted to from stash to make it fun.
Thanks for doing this swap-it was fun!
Old 12-16-2013, 07:11 AM

At the end of the day, isn't it really not about how much you put in, but how much thought you put in?
Old 12-16-2013, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bullock2us View Post
this was my first ss swap and i guess i didn't read the rules very well. I just assumed that it was like the monthly one and anything from or made from stash didn't count towards the dollar limit. I did stay within the limit on stuff i bought ,not including the fat quarters because i didn't have any stash of the kind of fabric my ss wanted so had to buy them.. And then just included what i wanted to from stash to make it fun.
Thanks for doing this swap-it was fun!
You need to read the entire first post, not just the part I quoted. I only chose a small part of her post, to emphasize what she told everyone about the $ guidelines, that some may spend more and that it shouldn't cause anger.

I also drew from my stash and didn't count that towards the dollar limit. I had picked up little bargains throughout the year and those were not counted toward the dollar limit, either. I only counted what I felt was fair to count.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:34 AM

Exactly! Personally I would like to see how creative and thought inspired we could be following the maximum dollar amount Terri designates . If she says homemade things don't count in the dollar amount, we have a whole year to work on those thlngs to augment the 4 fat quarters and monetary gift(s)