Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 12-17-2013, 11:13 AM
DJ

In picking up the studio the other day, I discovered a product I had purchased some time ago for using with metallic thread. I thought I'd try it on my embroidery thread that seemed to have a shredding problem. I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but I think it's helping a lot. It's called "Sewer's Aid". It's a thick liquid that seems a little oily, but I don't think it would mark fabric. I put a little on the needle and drizzled some down the spool of thread. Everything so far has sewn much better since doing that. I don't know if it's been mentioned here before. I asked Santa for another bottle of it for my stocking so I can have some near each machine.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:17 AM
DJ

I love seeing everyone's creations!

Here are some Christmas cards I made using a machine embroidery applique design:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5528-2.jpg
Views:	845
Size:	506.9 KB
ID:	452154  
Old 12-17-2013, 04:06 PM

dj those came out gorgeous!
Old 12-17-2013, 05:01 PM

I am new to the machine embroidering. I want to monogram some towels for my daughter for Christmas. Does anyone know what kind of stabilizer I should use on terry cloth towels?
Old 12-17-2013, 05:15 PM

DJ
Your cards are darling!! I just love them! Wonderful!!
Can you tell me where you purchased the designs??

Last edited by Divokittysmom; 12-17-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:30 PM

DJ; I don't know if the techs have changed their minds on "Sewers Aid". When it first came out, we were all using it and loving it! We were using it on spools of thread and our needles. We were soon warned that it was 'gooping' up our machines! I LOVED the stuff, it made difficult threads more manageable. Sooo... just wanted to send this along to you. Obviously up to you as to what you do. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by rexie View Post
I am new to the machine embroidering. I want to monogram some towels for my daughter for Christmas. Does anyone know what kind of stabilizer I should use on terry cloth towels?
I just embroidered some towels for gifts. I used tear-away on the back and put a layer of water soluble stabilizer on the top to keep the embroidery from sinking into the threads of the terry cloth.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:20 AM

Rexie,
I use medium cut away stabilizer in the back, depending on the density (the design). If the designs has a high thread county then I use the medium cut away with water soluble on top. Last time I did this I put double the soluble on top and just visited my daughter in which after she washed them they still look great! The lighter the terry cloth and density of the design I use one layer of water soluble and tear away stabilizer. Many here will share their ideas and so I hope this all helps.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by quiltnut4ever View Post
Rexie,
I use medium cut away stabilizer in the back, depending on the density (the design). If the designs has a high thread county then I use the medium cut away with water soluble on top. Last time I did this I put double the soluble on top and just visited my daughter in which after she washed them they still look great! The lighter the terry cloth and density of the design I use one layer of water soluble and tear away stabilizer. Many here will share their ideas and so I hope this all helps.
I used a sticky wash away for the bottom and a Film WSS on the top. Since then I've read that the sticky can be a bit tricky if you pull away the excess before wetting as the sticky is strong enough to pull loops from the towels. I did notice that a little on the towels I did but attributed it to really cheap towels. Could have been a combination of things. On the other more expensive towels I did a film WSS both hooped and on the top and it worked beautifully. I didn't hoop the towel. I just recently purchased the Monster magnetic hoop that is supposed to hold towels, but haven't tried it yet.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:27 AM

So pretty. Love the cardinals.