Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is Dawn detergent as good as synthrapol? >

Is Dawn detergent as good as synthrapol?

Is Dawn detergent as good as synthrapol?

Old 12-19-2013, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by cizzors View Post
Not a big fan of Dawn. Have you ever washed then rinsed your hands with it? After rinsing, rub your hands together as if washing them. Takes a lot of rinsing to remove all the soap.
I use distilled vinegar as a rinse agent and that seems to take care of that issue.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:27 AM

I have washed my quilts in Tide and have had no problems. I do not wash them unless they are dirty.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:47 AM

I have have heard and read it has to be the clear dawn
Old 12-19-2013, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
MacThayer, I think your test run confirms information on the web. However, I want to clarify that neither Synthrapol nor Dawn will set dyes. All they do is suspend unset dye particles in water so they are rinsed away instead of settling into fabric fibers.

Most fabric that "bleeds" has had dyes correctly set by the manufacturer but have not been rinsed sufficiently. Fibers can absorb only a limited amount of dye particles. Excess dye particles that are not rinsed away by the manufacturer end up in color catchers (such as those in your test run). Most of these excess dye particles come out in the first wash, and subsequent washes have color catchers that come out pretty clean.

When the manufacturer does not actually set the dye properly, the end result is a "bleeder" fabric that never stops bleeding. It's not just a problem of excess dye particles (more dye particles than the fibers can absorb) not being
rinsed away; it's a problem of all dye particles not being permanently set into the fibers. Synthrapol and Dawn will prevent these loose dye particles from settling into other fabrics, but they will not stop the fabric from bleeding in future washes.

Hope this explanation is clearer than mud!
Thank you Prism for a most informative and cogent explanation of the commercial dying process. Now I understand why we throw out fabric that won't stop bleeding.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:15 PM

My daughter worked for a jeweler and he told her that dawn dish soap is really hard on diamonds.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by mimiof4 View Post
My daughter worked for a jeweler and he told her that dawn dish soap is really hard on diamonds.
Did the jeweler say why? Diamomd are suppost to be the hardest stones, just seems odd that Dawn would harm diamonds?
Old 12-19-2013, 06:26 PM

I don't know about using Dawn or even Ivory dish washing detergents for washing fabrics-especially quilts. Or even the most favorite stated preference here, Synthrapol. I always use the Arm and Hammer laundry products for all my regular and fine laundry wash. Including the quilts. Especially considering the rather harsh hard mineral deposit water that is locally available where I live. They work and work well all things considering. Plus these products are very affordable. I believe that the "secret" ingredient is baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) that I use liberally. I buy a box of "baking soda" just for rinse cycles ending in the final rinse as well as an extra one for the wash cycle if extra dirty. Your grandma's quilts were washed with this product, why not your own as well?

Sensitive Skin-Perfume & Dye Free
http://www.armandhammer.com/fabric-c...-dye-free.aspx

Delicare:
http://www.armandhammer.com/fabric-care/fine-fabric-wash/Products/delicare-fine-fabric-wash.aspx
Old 12-19-2013, 06:27 PM

Please provide the recipe. I have a blue & white log cabin---one blue bleeds--need to wash it!
Thanks
Old 12-19-2013, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
I don't think I'd want to use Dawn Dishwashing soap to wash my quilts.
I prefer to use Woolite which is a lot more gentle on fabrics.
Also, if you have a front load machine like me you can only use HE detergents.
I stopped using Woolite years ago when it contained bleach. I haven't checked it lately to see if that has changed. I also have a front load washer and I don't use HE detergents.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:47 AM

To gather up loose dye I use Shout Color Catchers. The label says it is a propriatery recipe. In other words they are not telling you what is in it, but that worked for me in my situation. Shout Color Catchers are like little dryer sheets for static cling. Throw them away after one use. They will be all sorts of colors.

Marcia