Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mug Rugs--what's the point? >

Mug Rugs--what's the point?

Mug Rugs--what's the point?

Old 12-22-2013, 10:20 AM

I always used coasters under my mugs, but like mug rugs better. That's a pretty good reason in my book :-)
Old 12-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

I made 18 of them for my new neighbors most of who are 80 to 95 years old. Everyone of them was delighted but I said NOT to use them as potholders. They all thought they were very lovely.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Variety.JPG
Views:	1189
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	452857  
Old 12-22-2013, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by pseudoquilter View Post
I was making some Mug Rugs for my grandkids and my daughter thought the idea was silly--why not use a plate? I really didn't know what to say other than they are cute. Any thoughts?
Yup, I'm with your daughter. Silly in my book, too, but if it floats your boat, go right ahead. I use a 6" hand carved soapstone disc as a coaster. No quilted placemat, runner, topper, mug rug type doodads here at all.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:38 AM

Well, goodness, we make them because we enjoy not only making them but using them! A quick gift to brighten somebody's desk/bedside table, etc.

Why do we make quilts instead of going to a big box store and buying one for a fraction of the cost? It's a creative outlet, an enjoyment to make and to use.

Surely there is something your daughter likes that could be easier? Eating a nice meal instead of going to a fast food place or grabbing a frozen dinner? Pricey bags instead of a tote from the grocery.

Maybe, if you were making them for the grands, she was thinking it's one more thing for her to clean? I can kind of understand that, when you've got little ones and there is always something that needs wiping, scrubbing, etc. But these would not only remind the kids of Grandma and how much you love them, it would keep spots off of things. And they can be tossed in the wash - whether that's the washer with laundry or in the dish pan (which is what I do with pot holders!).

Okay, I think I'd better stop. Luckily, I took my blood pressure pill this morning...
Old 12-22-2013, 12:42 PM

besides, if the user insists on a plate, make it big enough that using the mug rug is still a choice and use them together. have a good holiday one and all....
Old 12-22-2013, 01:32 PM
SSK

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Well, goodness, we make them because we enjoy not only making them but using them! A quick gift to brighten somebody's desk/bedside table, etc.

Why do we make quilts instead of going to a big box store and buying one for a fraction of the cost? It's a creative outlet, an enjoyment to make and to use.

Surely there is something your daughter likes that could be easier? Eating a nice meal instead of going to a fast food place or grabbing a frozen dinner? Pricey bags instead of a tote from the grocery.

Maybe, if you were making them for the grands, she was thinking it's one more thing for her to clean? I can kind of understand that, when you've got little ones and there is always something that needs wiping, scrubbing, etc. But these would not only remind the kids of Grandma and how much you love them, it would keep spots off of things. And they can be tossed in the wash - whether that's the washer with laundry or in the dish pan (which is what I do with pot holders!).

Okay, I think I'd better stop. Luckily, I took my blood pressure pill this morning...
Amen!
Old 12-22-2013, 01:33 PM

Oh, I thought the same thing at first. But then, thoughout my day, I kept thinking...oh, I could have used a mug rug for that...and my thinking changed. They are so cute to boot. Good tip about warning people that they are not hot pads. Wouldn't it be a dull place if we all liked the same things?
Old 12-22-2013, 02:34 PM

If your DD thinks mug rugs are silly, just don't give her one. LOL I was making a block out of scraps to see if I liked the block, and I ended up making them as placemats for my DH and me.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post

well said.I use them all the time for coffee/tea cups.they brighten up the tables also-kinda like a mini quilt.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:45 PM

Clearly she isn't interested. I don't use mugrugs, but as soon as my mom saw them, she wanted a half dozen. I told her not to worry about coffee spills. I'll just make more and my sister will take anything that is stained to use on her glass patio table. I have one hung up by my computer. They are cute.