Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 12-25-2013, 02:16 AM

Santa brought me a Brother PE 770 for Christmas. I guess Santa was tired of hearing me talk about wanting an embroidery machine. I have been quilting for several years, but have never used an embroidery machine before. Do you have any advice for a newby? After everyone leaves tonight I plan on watching a YouTube video about the machine. Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-25-2013, 07:06 AM
Banned

Congrats on your new emb. machine.
It CAN get addicting, but have fun with it.

You will need a variety of different stabilizers to use, embroidery thread,
and various needle types & sizes.

A good place to find what style needle & stabilizer to use on the different
types of fabrics I recommend going to RNK/Floriani website to get the
guide they have to help with setting up the correct combinations.

Quick Reference Guide this guide is quite useful for helping with
matching the correct stabilizer to the fabric you plan to stitch on.

Stabilizer workbook this is helpful for learning about the different
kinds of stabilizer.

I personally use both these guides to help me even after 6-7 years of
embroidering.

Most important is just have FUN.

Originally Posted by hsweany View Post
Santa brought me a Brother PE 770 for Christmas. I guess Santa was tired of hearing me talk about wanting an embroidery machine. I have been quilting for several years, but have never used an embroidery machine before. Do you have any advice for a newby? After everyone leaves tonight I plan on watching a YouTube video about the machine. Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-25-2013, 04:04 PM

hsweany, CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW EMBROIDERY MACHINE! I totally agree with Louise here though there are many other websites RNK/Floriani is the best! MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
Old 12-25-2013, 06:32 PM

I have a 'new to me' Janome 11000 that is being upgraded with the Accufil updates. Has anyone used the Accufil on their machine? Have you used any of the quilt block patens that come with it also? Of so please PM me with your thoughts
P / suggestions, thanks is much!
Old 12-25-2013, 06:35 PM

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm sure I will have more questions. Now I'm deciding if I should clean up tomorrow or play. Lol
Old 12-25-2013, 07:24 PM

I have a SE400 Brother and have found it to be a real work horse. It has been a learn as you go for me and trial and error. It helps to stay within your hoop size. I was very frustrated until I found I was trying to load too large into my machine.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:30 PM

Congratulations!
Start with something small, always use a new needle for each project and good quality thread. I use Floriani thread, and I get my thread nets free from my local florist. Check with them, it is better than buying them!
Pick out simple designs, and work with your sewing center to learn about stabilizers. They are the key to successful machine embroidery.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:14 AM

Congrats on your new embroidery machine, hsweany. my advice is to enjoy your machine and the embroidery
work you do it. I save my practice pieces and use them on projects: mug rugs, table toppers... really good site for signs is www.embroiderylibrary.com Have fun
Old 12-26-2013, 01:25 PM

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm sure I will have more questions. Now I'm deciding if I should clean up tomorrow or play. Lol
That definitely would not be a tough decision for me. Always play today. The dirt will still be there tomorrow! Keep us posted on your progress. This is the best site and i always get great answers to my questions.
Jane
Old 12-29-2013, 01:07 PM

I have a Sofia2, a Janome 9000 (both of which only do 4X4) and an Ellageo that takes the small 3.5" disc. Love all 3 machines - no real problems with any of them except the Ellageo sometimes does not want to read the discs. That machine is 12 years old and still the one I use for embroidery because of the 6X10 hoop size - BUT I know I will need to replace it soon. I would prefer an embroidery only machine but not sure any of them do bigger than the 5X7 designs. I do NOT want to have to hook a laptop to my machine - want one that uses a flash drive.

Any suggestion on such a machine - and does anyone that has a 5X7 only machine have any luck with splitting designs? I did not see any instructions for that at Embroidery Library.

TIA - Irene