Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I asked for it, I got it, NOW what do I do??? >

I asked for it, I got it, NOW what do I do???

I asked for it, I got it, NOW what do I do???

Old 12-26-2013, 03:47 PM

Do you usually get fabric at JAF? If not, and you're not happy with it, plus not caring for the colors, it doesn't sound like an enjoyable project for you.

I am suspicious that your daughter may not like the finished product as much as she thinks she will. Why not arrange the FQs in a solid shape, without any surface showing between the pieces, and see if she likes that. Or find some pictures of dark Quilts in 2 colors and see if that still appeals to her. She may talk herself out of it, and then you can return the fabrics and start again. In the process of choosing fabrics, she'll learn more and maybe become interested in quilting.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 12-26-2013, 03:50 PM

How about an irish chain quilt - use the black for the background and the reds for the squares (the nine patch).
Old 12-26-2013, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by quilter2theend View Post
Just a curious question: Was your daughter always interested in the things you were making? It was nice of her to buy you fabric for Christmas, but I would have been taken back a bit when she wanted you to use it to make her a quilt seeing as she has never been interested in sewing. I like some of the suggestions others have made and there are books out there for 2 color quilts. Hope you don't take offense to my question.
No offense taken. Yes, before she was married and living away from home, if momma did any kind of craft or crocheting/knitting, she did it, too. She claims everything I quilt as hers, unless it is designated for someone else, which really makes me happy. She and I have always been extremely close. So, when I suggested fabric, she knew I'd be making something for her. It was sort of an unspoken understanding. She is very creative herself, but I only took up quilting myself about 6 or 7 years ago, when she was already married and away from home, so she wasn't nearby to catch the bug.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Is there a decent amount of contrast between the red/black print and the solid black fabric? If not, can you go crazy with the quilting to make it a really spectacular quilt? Is it just one red and black print or are there 10 different ones?
Yes, there is enough contrast. It is only just one red/black print.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:04 PM

Yes, you are right, you don't get it. I responded to someone a little while ago, but I will repeat it here and hope that everyone who misunderstands why she would give ME fabric to make HER a quilt will get a better understanding. My daughter and I are very, very close. She is my only daughter, and almost everything I make is hers - her choice, and my choice. It was sort of an unspoken understanding when I mentioned fabric to her that whatever she bought I would be making into a quilt for her. I do not quilt for others, I do not sell quilts, and I can only put so many quilts to good use in my own home. I love making things for my daughter. I am thinking that perhaps you do not have a daughter and therefore cannot understand a really close mother/daughter relationship. It WAS a gift, not disguised as a gift, not to mention this was one of many lovely gifts she gave me.

For those of you who have offered such wonderful, helpful suggestions - I thank you so very much. It has been a tremendous help, and I am just googling away looking at all options. This is a wonderful group of quilters!

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Maybe there is something wrong with me, but I don't see this as a thoughtful gift for her mom, at all. She bought fabric for a quilt for herself and expects her mom to make it. So... she didn't give her a gift. She gave her a job.

If their relationship is such that she can ask her mom to do this for her, fine. But I wouldn't disguise it as a gift. That's tacky. The daughter is giving herself the gift!
Old 12-26-2013, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by krafty14 View Post
How about a disappearing 4 patch? That is often done with only 2 fabrics.

Yes, several people have suggested the D4P and I thank everyone for their suggestions. Right now, I'm leaning toward the D4P since it is easily within my level of expertise and won't take long to make. Google showed me some very pretty ones done in just two colors. Thanks again to all of you who gave such good, supportive suggestions!
Old 12-26-2013, 06:55 PM

[QUOTE=KerryK;6475709] I love making things for my daughter. I am thinking that perhaps you do not have a daughter and therefore cannot understand a really close mother/daughter relationship. It WAS a gift, not disguised as a gift, not to mention this was one of many lovely gifts she gave me.

I don't think your response is fair. If you had asked just for ideas on using the red/black FQs, there would have been no comments about your daughter and the gift at all. You did explain pretty well in later responses, but initially, it sounded different. Your relationship with your daughter is your own. But someone who comments on your description of it doesn,t necessarily not understand a mother-daughter relationship. You could have avoided this by sticking to the quilting question and omitting the personal part.

JMO,
charlotte
Old 12-26-2013, 08:06 PM

Other than going with a 2 color quilt as many have suggested my only thought is, what if you showed her the pattern you want to use and explain that it just won't work with only 2 fabrics? Then if she won't go for it maybe ask her what sort of pattern she had in mind. Maybe she would come up with something you'd want to do?
I can understand the making most things for her idea. I got a gift card to a quilt shop last year and my hubby insisted that I buy toys for me with it, but the only "toy" I wanted was fabric to make my DS a quilt. Good luck finding a solution that makes you both happy! Happy quilting!
Old 12-26-2013, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
My main concern is what pattern to use that will look pretty using only two fabrics. I don't want to disappoint her.

And Lori S - just like the D9P, I can't picture it with only two fabrics.

Oh, what to do, what to do?
There is a pattern called Peppermint Stars by Dani Sawtelle that is a 2 color quilt - I made it with 1 green fabric and 1 tan fabric and it turned out fabulous! There is another pattern called Two Hearts in Love - free pattern can be found here: http://foolsgoldca.susanmallery.com/funstuff.html - I did this pattern using black and pink/red for my daughter. Google two-color quilts and see what you can come up with that you like!
Old 12-26-2013, 10:14 PM

OH OH OH...I came up with a new way to do a disappearing 4 patch...instead of cutting on either side of the seam lines, put the block on point and cut on either side of the points...really cool patterns develop that I have never seen before and sooooooooo easy. Try it with 8 charm squares just to see if you like the way it looks. I'm not at home (where my blocks reside) or I would post a picture for you! If you can't figure it out, I'll make a couple of blocks tomorrow and post pictures if you'd like.