Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding Help >

Binding Help

Binding Help

Old 12-27-2013, 12:50 PM

Default Binding Help

I've been trying to master my binding technique. I know to stop 1/4" from the bottom. When I restart on the next side, do I start 1/4" from the top? I'm trying to figure out why mine aren't quite right.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:55 PM

when i get to the 1/4" at the end of one side, I sew diagonally off to the corner. I fold the fabric at the corner and when I start sewing, I start at the edge, not 1/4" in. It's been coming out pretty good that way for me. Test it on some scraps and see how it works for you.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:56 PM

You're talking about meeting the corners, right? Stop sewing 1/4" from the corner, backstitch a bit. Turn the binding the way you have to for mitered corners (up, down, etc). I have read to sew from the very edge of the new side, but I find that if I need to pare down the bulk at the point that the stitching is in my way, so I begin 1/4" down the new side, starting with 2-3 backstitches. What does everyone else think out there?
Old 12-27-2013, 01:02 PM

I struggle with bindings at time too.. see if this link helps you out http://www.cluckclucksew.com/2013/01...-tutorial.html
Old 12-27-2013, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

i start sewing from the edge. i find that the corners look wonky if i don't take care when sewing down the second/final side of the binding. i've started using a pointer to make sure the miter is just right when i sew it down this second time.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:31 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hWQ5-ZccE

The link above is to the Sharon Schamber video "Binding the Angel". (The "Angel" refers to the beautiful quilt she uses to demonstrate her binding technique.) If for some reason the link doesn't work, just go to youtube and do a quick search. I followed her technique step-by-step and the results were amazing.....absolutely flawless binding for my DGD's quilt!!! I read about the video here on The Board and it worked PERFECTLY for me! Best of luck with your project!
Old 12-27-2013, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

If I am doing regular binding cirners, I stop 1/4 from the edge, do the fold and start sewing from the edge again. For unusual angles, I like the tutorial from ankastreasures.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:48 AM

There are many tutorials online that you can watch. Just search for quilt binding mitered corners.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Chaney Ranch View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hWQ5-ZccE

The link above is to the Sharon Schamber video "Binding the Angel". (The "Angel" refers to the beautiful quilt she uses to demonstrate her binding technique.) If for some reason the link doesn't work, just go to youtube and do a quick search. I followed her technique step-by-step and the results were amazing.....absolutely flawless binding for my DGD's quilt!!! I read about the video here on The Board and it worked PERFECTLY for me! Best of luck with your project!
I second this video! A bottle of Elmer's School Glue, along with that video, will make binding easy!
Old 12-28-2013, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

I also bind with Sharon Schamers method works really well.